Ruptured Distal Bicep Tendon

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA
Still awaiting BCBS insurance bureaucracy to get the MRI to confirm. But it does not appear there was an Avulsion fracture, strictly the tendon popped at the attachment to the forearm
Well that might be a good thing
We used to used this tunneling drill call med a curve tel by biomet/arthrotek.. it was designed by a surgical tech, called the Romano drill… it drilled these nice semi circle tunnels that we could thread a our big old ethibond suture needles thru, great for Achilles repairs to, anyway after 14 Mos of rehab, my shoulder is good and I’m surfing
My longboards,
Rehab success=patience , consistency and
Not comparing to anyone else

Tlri

Oct 30, 2017
Rhode island
Well that might be a good thing
We used to used this tunneling drill call med a curve tel by biomet/arthrotek.. it was designed by a surgical tech, called the Romano drill… it drilled these nice semi circle tunnels that we could thread a our big old ethibond suture needles thru, great for Achilles repairs to, anyway after 14 Mos of rehab, my shoulder is good and I’m surfing
My longboards,
Rehab success=patience , consistency and
Not comparing to anyone else
88C17BE4-92E5-422A-9457-7C20C3CDE0FD.png

You can still buy a curvtek!
Sure you can’t find the cartridges but the hand pieces are available on eBay.

So funny.
I used to sell that thing.

icecreamheadache

Jan 14, 2006
I blew mine three and a half years ago moving a dehumidifier (one hand slipped off, the other stayed on and thump! There went my bicep). I was 43 and doc recommended I not get surgery ‘cuz I was old and the bicep is an overrated muscle that does much of nothing aside from pronation (or some other motion). I was vain and went under the knife in Ventura. Woke up in a metal arm brace I had to wear for six months (no surf, no yoga, no muay thai) with four months of PT to follow. Surgeon did a top job, going so far as to do the stitching himself so my tattoo lines perfectly lined up. My arm works just fine now but still looks weird compared to the other. In retrospect, I don’t regret doing the surgery but I also don’t know I’d do it again given the six months out of the water for a sorta useless muscle.

davey

Jun 9, 2007
Australia
I blew mine three and a half years ago moving a dehumidifier (one hand slipped off, the other stayed on and thump! There went my bicep). I was 43 and doc recommended I not get surgery ‘cuz I was old and the bicep is an overrated muscle that does much of nothing aside from pronation (or some other motion). I was vain and went under the knife in Ventura. Woke up in a metal arm brace I had to wear for six months (no surf, no yoga, no muay thai) with four months of PT to follow. Surgeon did a top job, going so far as to do the stitching himself so my tattoo lines perfectly lined up. My arm works just fine now but still looks weird compared to the other. In retrospect, I don’t regret doing the surgery but I also don’t know I’d do it again given the six months out of the water for a sorta useless muscle.
Like you I detached my distal bicep tendon at work (professional Lifeguard) but by the time I'd got to the doc it was too late for surgery which was okay by me as I could still work and surf. I was told by the surgeon that I would only lose 10% of strength in that arm even if I didn't get surgery. No lost time surfing or working just a Popeye arm to remind me. Guess I was lucky.

Macaster

Feb 13, 2021
Oceanside
I tore mine a little over a year ago. It was misdiagnosed in the ER the day it happened. Then I went to see my PCM who ordered an ultra sound. That referral was messed up and needed to be resubmitted. Once it was approved it took a month to get it done. At that point they diagnosed me with a 50% tear of my right Distal Biceps Tendon. I just happened to mention it a friend who is a radiologist, he said “let me take a look at it”. Well….. it was actually 90% torn, a very rare injury. It was confirmed with an MRI. By the time I saw the Ortho Surgeon two months had passed. He left the decision on surgery up to me. I opted for aggressive PT, and increased proteins, amino acids and collagen supplements. I was back in the water after about two months. So a total of four months out. At this point is I have all
of my range of motion back and about 90% strength. I made it back into the water about 2-3 months earlier than with surgery and didn’t have to go through that pain and the possible issues that go with it.

Members online