Ruptured Distal Bicep Tendon

T-Bone

Apr 7, 2005
USA - Beachwood, New Jersey
Ruptured Left Distal Bicep tendon. Anybody have any 1st hand experience with this injury and what the PT after surgery will Entail. Freak accident type injury fielding a ground ball playing softball. Semi-long recovery of 10-12wks. Looking for all the info I can get. Thanks in advance for anything you can offer

West81

Jun 28, 2021
Hollandia
I just happened to watch some vids on this happening in gyms

Its with the bicep snapping loose right?

I think checking bodybuilder and fitness fora will provide more info. It happened a couple times to "The Beast" Eddy Hall

Mattmercurie

Jan 29, 2021
MA
Tore both distal biceps at different times which required surgery. The recovery process is long but stick to the physical therapy and you can expect to be good as new.

It takes about 3-4 months to heal and then a few more getting the arm stronger again. I was out of the water for about 7 months each time. Can still go to the gym and do light cardio about a week post surgery to stay in shape.

T-Bone

Apr 7, 2005
I just happened to watch some vids on this happening in gyms

Its with the bicep snapping loose right?

I think checking bodybuilder and fitness fora will provide more info. It happened a couple times to "The Beast" Eddy Hall
Actually not the Bicep muscle itself, but the tendon where it attaches to the forearm tore from the bone

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA
Did it pull any bone with it when it tore?
Avulsion fracture ?
It will require either drilling tunnels to thread suture thru or anchors to repair,
Absorbable or not absorbable one by
Arthrex and Stryker or Biomet all make great stuff for this
Good luck

Usually it proximal and associated
With rotator cuff tear

pintail

Feb 19, 2004
LA, California
Repair is generally indicated for younger people who do manual work of some sort. I've repaired my share of these (I'm an upper extremity surgeon), and the results, with proper postop PT are very good. OTOH, if you are older and don't perform lots of manual labor, the choice is yours. The primary elbow flexor is the brachialis, under the biceps. The biceps helps with flexion of course, but is a primary supinator of the forearm, that is it turns your forearm from palm down to palm up. Discuss your status with your surgeon and make an informed decision. Only downside to repair, if it's done competently, is the need to protect the repair from overload while it heals and the PT guidance needed. Best of luck!

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Ruptured Left Distal Bicep tendon. Anybody have any 1st hand experience with this injury and what the PT after surgery will Entail. Freak accident type injury fielding a ground ball playing softball. Semi-long recovery of 10-12wks. Looking for all the info I can get. Thanks in advance for anything you can offer

Ahh jeez! That sounds painful. Heal fast!

T-Bone

Apr 7, 2005
Repair is generally indicated for younger people who do manual work of some sort. I've repaired my share of these (I'm an upper extremity surgeon), and the results, with proper postop PT are very good. OTOH, if you are older and don't perform lots of manual labor, the choice is yours. The primary elbow flexor is the brachialis, under the biceps. The biceps helps with flexion of course, but is a primary supinator of the forearm, that is it turns your forearm from palm down to palm up. Discuss your status with your surgeon and make an informed decision. Only downside to repair, if it's done competently, is the need to protect the repair from overload while it heals and the PT guidance needed. Best of luck!
Thanks, 57 Firefighter/Officer. Left arm, and that is my dominant arm. So pretty much have to get it repaired.

T-Bone

Apr 7, 2005
Did it pull any bone with it when it tore?
Avulsion fracture ?
It will require either drilling tunnels to thread suture thru or anchors to repair,
Absorbable or not absorbable one by
Arthrex and Stryker or Biomet all make great stuff for this
Good luck

Usually it proximal and associated
With rotator cuff tear
Still awaiting BCBS insurance bureaucracy to get the MRI to confirm. But it does not appear there was an Avulsion fracture, strictly the tendon popped at the attachment to the forearm

aloha73

Jun 19, 2004
LA, CA
I tore my right bicep in 2011. Had the surgery and didn't surf for 9 months on the advice of my surgeon. Pain wasn't that bad but was told to give it ample time to heal and do all the PT which was your basic light movement exercises and strength training. I swore I'd never be able to do a bicep curl again and now my right is stronger than my left with the repair. Mine was a freak accident too. Was spotting someone doing a pull up and they came down on my arm a bit fast. Doc kept m off my bike too in case I fell and ruined his repair job. I bet a stationary bike would be fine to keep fit.

Members online