Roger Hinds

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Ticowannabe, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Had a midpoint meet up with NBB yesterday morning, which is always a pleasure, the setting was outside Roger Hinds shop for your basic parking lot board transfer. Mid conversation Roger pops his head out the door to his shop and John and I head in to chat up Roger and eye and fondle as many boards as possible. The shop is your typical old industrial tilt-up building, like the thousands i built from 1980 to 2008, in fact from '82 to '86 my construction yard was about 2 blocks from Rogers current location. Roger is in the process of expanding the front retail area which still housed his checkerboard boardroom beauty, a beautiful gun and several other gems so we hustled past the workers and back to the shaping bay and the glassing room. In the racks stood about 15 shaped boards ready for glassing and in the glassing room lay 6 beautiful boards just shy of being finished. NBB/John wants to keep his quiver at 2 boards...but he was clearly tempted so he had to leave;).
    I stepped into Rogers shaping bay and spent the next four hours watching two boards come to life, a 10' balsa tband quad vtail gun and then an 8'1 Answer out of his newly designed eps parabolic blank that he is totally stoked about and feels, after 35,000 boards, is a game changer. During the process a number of his buddies popped in to shoot the s&*t and talk about their next surf trip, or the possibility of paddling out to Mavericks if weather were to allow the contest next week and between boards we took a lunch break & talk story.
    As a competent user of tools, getting to watch Roger was a great experience, he is very calculated and really rather mathematical with the hand saw and power planers but with the eye of a craftsman, when it got down to hand planers and hand sanding it's a whole different story. He starts calculated, then visual and ends with touch. Only his hands measuring the rails, his eyes intentionally averted from the work so it was all about touch and feel, tossing the boards vertically and running his hands up and down the rails, then inverting the board to do the same so both hands feel both rails.
    Rogers story is a history many of us share, to one degree or another, from the 1960's until now and I suspect this podcast is as comprehensive an interview as you'll ever get. http://surfsplendorpodcast.com/091-roger-hinds/
    Gun in the corner, parabolic Answer under construction

[​IMG]

2. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Cool, Tico, thanks for posting.

3. northbeachboy

northbeachboy Active Member

Aug 16, 2004
    USA California
    Thanks Tico!
    I knew I had to leave to save my sanity!
    I had met Roger at the Del Mar show last spring and discussed/fondled his boards and could have easily pulled the trigger! He is one of the top shapers out there and his his longboards are works of art!

Good luck with your new sticks, and we'll see how long I can hold-out with just two!:dude:

4. LB Boozer

LB Boozer Member

Jan 24, 2013
    USA California
    Roger is an excellent shaper and even better person. I had the pleasure of sharing a surf with him yet again this am and rode my narrowed 5'8" Thing I. He was riding a 7'10" answer model in the parabolic eps answer that weighs in at a whopping 8lbs. Got me thinking of a performance super twin in that s are technology.

If you ever get a chance to surf with Roger have him watch you surf and he will incorporate your style and tendencies into the shape to maximize your fun and performance.

5. Ticowannabe

Apr 25, 2012
    LB he pulled that para out of his van yesterday ...the blank behind the gun in the pic above was a tband for my answer, he easily convinced me to go with the parabolic although all blanks were spoken for...i apoloize here to his friend it belonged to
    front foot or back foot heavy?

6. LB Boozer

LB Boozer Member

Jan 24, 2013
    USA California
    I think Ernie gets the blanks up to him really quick quick so he really doesn't sweat using a blank that is already spoken for. That a long with the temperatures lately has kept him from glassing the eps boards so chances are that the new blank will arrive and be shaped before its warm enough to glass.

I surf off my back foot when I'm riding my shortboards a lot but after a few sessions on a fish or other wide point forward boards I adapt pretty easy and start to drive off the front foot. I like to ride all kinds of boards that require me to surf them differently to keep it interesting and I pick boards to ride based on my mood as much as the conditions.

7. Ticowannabe

Apr 25, 2012
    me too LBB, i had the same answer when roger asked me

8. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    What are your plans for that big board? Signed, Curious

9. Ticowannabe

Apr 25, 2012
    i plan on enjoying it