Robert August

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
I reached out to get a new custom. Never got a response.

You can see some reviews on real Watersports to at least see some of their current shapes
Robert is 76 going on 77. He may be stepping back from production shaping and doing a few here and there like Hap Jacobs was doing. Keep trying.

Proper_Mode

Jan 8, 2016
USA California
+1
A really fun, user input sensitive board. Hard fades off the bottom with that rolled up-turned tail/wide base flex fin combo were incredibly satisfying.
Was hoping for mention of this board in here.
I had this one and concur. Really fun and was hoping to order one similar but larger dims.

S

Skeg1

Robert is 76 going on 77. He may be stepping back from production shaping and doing a few here and there like Hap Jacobs was doing. Keep trying.
@Proper_Mode May be able to reach him through his niece I believe at his surfboard company via email

takedown

Jun 26, 2017
Eugene, OR
Thank you. Just put a deposit with Roger Hinds and really excited for it, but would love a shape from Robert August one day. Maybe on the next round or two.
I met a guy in tamarindo who was staying at witch's rock surf camp and he was able to talk to Robert in person and put down a deposit and then the following year he went back down to the same surf camp and his board was ready.

Maybe a surf trip is in order to find him

SeabassMan

Aug 8, 2019
Bodega Bay
I was in Costa Rica before COVID and ran into a surf shop/place that sold blanks and supplies just outside of Tamarindo. The guy was Robert August's son in law or nephew or something. He was nice as heck. He said that Robert spent as much time in CR as possible and that he had a regular shaping demo that he did in Tamarindo every couple of days. He also said that Robert could generally be found at local watering hole during a certain time window and that he loved to talk story. "just go up and say hi and maybe buy him a beer after a while.." I loved the fact that he said Robert does not tire of talking history, Endless Summer, shaping, ...anything to do with surfing! That says a lot. Lots of dudes would get grumpy when asked; "Tell me more about Cape St. Francis...." or something like that.

I rode a WIR surftech in Mex once and it seemed like a really fun board. Great foil. That is what I know about actual surfboards.

Bummed that I did not hang in Tamarindo to meet Robert. We were staying too far away and I needed to get supplies and go back to my spot.

S

Skeg1

I was in Costa Rica before COVID and ran into a surf shop/place that sold blanks and supplies just outside of Tamarindo. The guy was Robert August's son in law or nephew or something. He was nice as heck. He said that Robert spent as much time in CR as possible and that he had a regular shaping demo that he did in Tamarindo every couple of days. He also said that Robert could generally be found at local watering hole during a certain time window and that he loved to talk story. "just go up and say hi and maybe buy him a beer after a while.." I loved the fact that he said Robert does not tire of talking history, Endless Summer, shaping, ...anything to do with surfing! That says a lot. Lots of dudes would get grumpy when asked; "Tell me more about Cape St. Francis...." or something like that.

I rode a WIR surftech in Mex once and it seemed like a really fun board. Great foil. That is what I know about actual surfboards.

Bummed that I did not hang in Tamarindo to meet Robert. We were staying too far away and I needed to get supplies and go back to my spot.
He truly is a very nice guy and agreed you’d think he’d get tired of talking story,but I’m also not surprised he doesn’t I guess.. He’s a great guy to hang with !