RIP Kemp Aaberg

Hanger18

Mar 24, 2022
Squaremont
The passing this weekend of style lord and guitarist supreme Kemp Aaberg is another huge loss for the surf community. A gentleman and pioneer of the California style at Rincon particularly, Aaberg was one of the main guys at Rincon and the points of SB in the 1950s and 60s. Dig up some of his old footage and give it a look if you've never heard of him. His brother Denny is also an amazing surfer and wrote the screenplay for Big Wednesday.

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 12.47.22 PM.png

Kemp at The Ranch

Last edited:

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
Kemp Aaberg was one of those style masters showcased in the early 1960's through those early Bruce Brown movies, he kind of stepped out of the limelight in the mid 1960's to some of the other surfers coming up in the ranks. He was admired by many of the California surfers in the 1960s and I think of him as part of the Rennie Yater generation of surfing. Last I heard he was living in Palm Springs and would sometimes comment in surfing articles, but never really came out or retirement to surf in events. RIP Kemp, you were one of the classics.

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
A true gentleman not all full of himself and of course, an immensely talented surfer as well as guitarist.

He was also our UPS man for years, dropping deliveries to Jeff, me, Char & Chris @ Surf 'n Wear on Carrillo Street in Santa Barbara.

The last time I saw him was some years ago at one of Dave Zeimer's "Stoke Fest". We got to talk for a bit, and he will always be an inspiration to me as how one should conduct himself in social settings and life in general.

I will miss him.

Not Kemp, but a classic shot of the era that Kemp hailed from...... I'm sure Ike would give him the nod.
IKE.jpg

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
A true gentleman not all full of himself and of course, an immensely talented surfer as well as guitarist.
Yes! Apparently, he went to Spain for 6 months or so to study flamenco guitar. It's not easy stuff to learn as it's very "cultural" and you have to learn from the masters to really get the feel for it. I never heard him play, but I have utmost respect for that skill, nonetheless.