RIP Ben Apia

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
I remember a day in the late 1960's(transition era) at Leo Carrillo. Ben Aipa was out there in the lineup and was ruling the place. He was really an aggressive surfer. All I could hear him say was "coming down". He looked like one "tough" son of a gun so nobody was messing with him. I can remember that day as if it were yesterday.

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
I surfed Ala Moana in 1973 and between Ben and his posse, it was damn near impossible to get waves. And, if you didn’t pay respect out in the lineup, good luck once you got to the parking lot.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Ben would come over in the Summer to shape Boatds at Donald Takayama’s Shop Surfing New Image. In Solana Beach.
there is a row off Quonset hut off of Cerdos Ave the railroad tracks were in the Back of the huts. I was working at a tee shirt silk Screen shop a few huts down. We keep the back door open for the breeze. I knew when Ben and Donald were taking a Break by the whiff of reefer on the win.

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
Mahalo for the great board designs, Ben, and giving a haole a really good wave at Sunset...
franks.jpg