Rider Vs Paddler

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Freddibetts, Sep 15, 2020.

Whose The Kook

1. Rider

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Paddler

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  3. They are both assholes

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. Nobody is at fault- surfing is a dangerous sport

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  1. SMUKES

SMUKES Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Losing a board now and then is just part of surfing, this tribe of claim adjusters, parsing out blame and seeking damages seem like a fun bunch.

Lee Murian, DJR, shadydave and 5 others like this.
  2. KDenning

KDenning Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Ventura, CA
    I think trying to blame the person that gets hit by a lost board for being in the wrong spot is full-throttle stupidity.

I let a buddy borrow an old JQ Ricky Carrol log of mine that didn’t have a leash loop. He lost it in a beach break and it made its way into the neck of my humerus and I got to spend the next 14 weeks out of the water.

He felt terrible that it happened. I felt terrible that I’d let him borrow that board - he always wore a leash on his personal board. I rehabbed my shoulder back to 100%, we surfed together for another year before moving, he still wears a leash every session and I still don’t.

Now what’s fun for me is to think about that same scenario but a strangers board and broken ribs instead of a humerus...that’s when dozens of variables flood the picture.

It sounds like the scenario we’re talking about here in this thread was handled in just about the worst way imaginable.

Chilly Willy likes this.
  3. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    I've always felt blunt force trauma was a good teaching tool. Must be my Catholic school background.

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 10.21.33 AM.png

DJR likes this.
  4. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    For those asking - leash was worn

5. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    Oh well this changes everything!! The rider should not have been wearing a leash, not wearing a leash will teach him to control his board better.

dsquare, glider_boy and endoftheroad like this.
  6. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Surfing in a crowd, as every experienced surfer knows, results in injuries on occasion, and it's usually possible to attribute blame to one of the surfers. I watched some mayhem in the lineup earlier this week with an overhead swell, and while it's good theater, it's also annoying to hear people crying about something that happened to them. The risk is obvious. Make your decision to surf in a crowd and accept that you might get damaged.

glider_boy and KDenning like this.
  7. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    I hit a guy today, he deserved it.

DJR likes this.
  8. SMUKES

SMUKES Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    The idea that if you lose a board and it hits someone and you owe them anything more than a "hey, you alright? Sorry man." Is absurd to me.

DJR and justsomedude like this.
  9. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Active Member

Assumption of the Risk! Whether things could or could not have been done differently by either rider or paddler (extremely likely they both could have) at the end of the day everyone enters the water knowing the inherent danger with doing so. Shit happens and unfortunately no break has a monopoly on douche bags in the water in either riders or paddlers. Never be foolish enough to think someone is more concerned with your safety in the water than you are.

KDenning likes this.
  10. waveslider619

waveslider619 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2017
    SD
    again not wearing a seatbelt doesn't break someone else's ribs.