Rider Vs Paddler

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Freddibetts, Sep 15, 2020.

Whose The Kook

1. Rider

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Paddler

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  3. They are both assholes

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. Nobody is at fault- surfing is a dangerous sport

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  1. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    ^ All of this.

2. dr flavors

dr flavors Active Member

Jul 21, 2019
    ca
    why does it have to be somebody's fault? shit happens. get over it.

kpd73, John and KDenning like this.
  3. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Apparently it wasn’t until the paddler decided it was. :) honestly none of us were there so we really don’t know what happened other than it most likely could have been avoided

4. Surph

Surph Active Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Let’s see the Surfline cam rewind video with play by play.

Additional assumption is that this event occured during most recent hurricane swell longboarding a crowded beach break in overhead surf with no leash. No mention that paddler or paddlers position “inside” actually caused rider to lose board, so I am sticking with rider fell down and lost board injuring paddler.

KDenning likes this.
  5. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Props to the paddler for catching the board before it hit the beach - good save!

DJR, dingdong, shadydave and 4 others like this.
  6. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    Ribs heal, surfboards don’t (waiting in line at SanO). Lines suck!!

7. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    So, I’m waiting in line at SanO, and a car decides to try and cut the line. I then t bone them, who’s fault is it? After all, driving is dangerous.

8. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    If you are wearing a leash it's his fault.

9. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    If the car is over 11' long it's obviously their fault, as cars 11'+ in length are inherently dangerous. If the car involved in the collision is only 10'6 then you are to blame.

10. KDenning

KDenning Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Ventura, CA
    Assuming people will have the ability/knowledge/skill to get out of the way of the board you lost doesn't check out with me.

Blaming you're inability to keep a hold of your board on a paddler's lack of knowledge or skill doesn't check out with me either.

If you're expecting the paddler to know where to paddle out, what's to keep the paddler from expecting you not to lose your board? Is this one of those breaks where only top tier longboarders paddle out, no one loses their board, and everyone paddling out has detailed, intimate knowledge of paddling-out etiquette?

My fiance likes surfing a point break that's known to be a beginner/kid/family spot. Especially since COVID, surf camps run daily on the inside. If I lost my board, it would mow down countless beginners and eventually find it's way to the shore filled with even more kids looking for things in the tide pools. Who's fault would that be? The beginners surfing a well-known beginner spot? The surf camps for running camp inside? The parents for letting their kids play in the ocean? No. It would be my fault for losing my board.

If you've surfed Rincon, C-Street, or Malibu lately you know that if you lose your board it's hitting someone that's paddling out in the "wrong" spot.

All this bitching after the incident aside, sounds like somebody should have been wearing a leash because they lost their board.

What do they say, it's a poor archer that blames the arrow? It's a lousy surfer that blames losing their board on someone paddling out in the wrong spot. The "kook" here is whoever lost their board.

I surf without a leash 95% of the time. When our beaches got crowded this summer and losing my board meant it would certainly hit a kid or group of kids on the inside, I put a leash on even though it's icky.