Restore Thread

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by SdSurferguy, May 29, 2015.

1. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    Post them up, before, during, and after shots. Old projects or new, the nastier the better. Doesn't have to be done right, as long as you're having fun.Backyard/garage jobs for the win!

2. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    I am afraid to post it , because I think I screw a good board trying to fix some defects , and I pour some glass on it, since the area was big enough to glass it, but not so big to take the old fiberglass off (and do a good job).
    So I poured in the resin, to cover the many spots it has. And now it looks like shit. But the wholes are covered, and is water tight again.
    The board is a Con CC rider, 9' 04''

3. SReilly

SReilly Member

Jan 24, 2012
    This was my 1st attempt @ even a ding repair never mind restore. 9'6" Phillips Pintail. Board I wish I never sold as it was a blast to surf. I learned allot surfing and patching this board. Patched her, taped her off, hit her with some epoxy rattle can. Looked alright until I tried clear coating it and it reacted with the paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    I'm going to have to dig around and see if I can find some photos. Maybe of a few that turned out well... and definitely of a few that turned out less so!

5. ClassicRider

ClassicRider Active Member

Sep 22, 2014
    USA Washington
    That was quick for a restore thread when I get back home on island i will take pictures of a dewey weber i have and post it. Till then i will enjoy viewing the thread.

6. ClassicRider

Sep 22, 2014
    USA Washington
    Here is bing noserider 1966 that was already restored when i got it.

Attached files
    [​IMG]

7. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    SReilly I'm wondering if you had it to do over again if you would have just made the phillips water tight and rode it. When I see things like that PHILLIPS on the bottom of the board that is pure history right there. I honestly don't work on my own boards but when I get a board I have them "fluffed and buffed" repaired and made water tight. I enjoy the story of a repaired vintage board. They are only original once as they say.

8. ClassicRider

Sep 22, 2014
    USA Washington
  9. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    ^^^ Now that's very nice!!!!

10. moonstooth

moonstooth Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Shady as he is, I'm with Dave on this one. In fact, in some cases I even avoid using qcell as the repairs come out bright white when you use it.