Replacing a glass on with a fin box?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Patrick Riley, May 6, 2019.

1. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley Active Member

May 15, 2018
    Jacksonville Beach
    I have a Christenson cc slider I acquired with a beautiful glass on D fin. I had another cc slider I loved with a fin box. This one was in such good shape I went ahead with it. I don't hate the D fin I just feel like I could add versatility with a box. But I'm torn.

I know it's been done before, but is it worth the risk? It's glassed heavy with volan (unsure exactly what weights) Anyone have experience with this?

for reference.
    image2.jpeg

Thunder Chicken likes this.
  2. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    MIssion Viejo, California
    I have a 10’5” volan tint Becker Malibu with a glass-on. Took it to Bashams a few years ago and got a box put in. Looks like had been there since day one. I think it was $75.

Only concerns would be enough thickness in tail and position of the box. I went 6-1/2” and wish I had gone at least 7”.

John

Patrick Riley likes this.
  3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Agree can be done easily. True, tail thickness is needed. Just be sure who ever does the work completes the job by capping the new box with cloth. I see way too many top name brand boards with no cap. Bogus.

4. KDenning

KDenning Member

May 14, 2015
    Can you describe what this entails? Getting into shaping myself and always eager to learn what others are looking for/expecting!

5. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    IMO, a no brainer. A box on that board is far superior. And it's not that hard at all. BUT you need the power tools AND the skills to use them on a finished board. Go to a pro for the mod.

Dawnpatrol and Patrick Riley like this.
  6. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    its going to show. No way to get the fin box back far enough to cover the area where the
    D fin is but as veterano says go to a pro. I want to do it to a board I have but no one near by me can do the work.

7. Patrick Riley

May 15, 2018
    Jacksonville Beach
    This is what I’m worried about. I know someone who could do a quality job, but I don’t think the fin box would be able to be pushed far enough and keep the integrity and beauty of the board.

Thanks for all the input, but I think I’m leaning towards keeping this work of art intact and not forcing my will upon the board. The older I get, the more I appreciate learning to surf the board instead of imposing my will upon it.

BrazilButtNut likes this.
  8. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    iirc those fins are pretty flat ( not foil very much) but I cant recall how deep(?) maybe just reshape the fin foil it and gloss it up all pretty. I think a Tyler NoseRider template or something similar might fit

9. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    this could work too
    Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 5.08.12 PM.png

10. Patrick Riley

May 15, 2018
    Jacksonville Beach
    I didn’t really think of this option! Awesome thank you!