Regimens

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by RePete, Mar 27, 2018.

1. RePete

RePete New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    I just read Icecreamheadache's amazing, breathless mat surfing travelogue and am inspired to get wet again after 18 of the worst months of my life. After spending way too much time in hospitals and doctor's office waiting rooms I've now become that fat, atrophied 53 year old who used to surf regularly, but now just wears surf shop t-shirts and rainbows to remind himself how much fun he used to have.

I'm hoping someone here knows of a decent print or Youtube training regimen I can do at home and on the beach to avoid the usual raft of shoulder and back injuries that come with revived stoke. Anyone know of a month-long (or longer) regimen for surfing?

Thanks!
    Pete

2. davey

davey Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    Just get out there dude, surfing is the best way to get back into it..

3. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
  4. Ozimec

Ozimec New Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Long Beach
    Three cups of coffee, a massive dump, and a doobie--and you're back out there!

cheyneskeezer and Roadmaster like this.
  5. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    yes, older folks need to focus on flexibility rather than strength to prevent shoulder damage

6. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I don't have any specific regimens, but I would recommend getting into the water however you can and going about it gradually. I can't remember details on your specific problem, but I had surgery two years ago and getting back on a surfboard was a big mountain to climb. I did some bodysurfing and some very low impact bodyboarding. Nothing wild, nothing intense... just hanging onto the boog and enjoying the simple pleasure of wave riding. The first time out was a stretch -- I would wash up on the beach and could hardly peel myself off the sand to stand up at the end of a ride. I gradually got stronger, but it was mostly great for my soul.

7. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    I agree swim in a nice heated pool at first and go out in the ocean on calm days and paddle a long board up and down the beach. Knee paddling a nice floating long board may be easier on your back and shoulders harder on the knees but knee pads should help there. I wear knee pads made from the knee sections of an old wetsuit under my wetsuits and have about 3/4 inch of neoprene under my knees, never have knee problems.

8. russneversleeps

russneversleeps Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Agree with all of the above.
    Or.....
    Search all of ICH's archived posts and there's the path laid out for you, in Technicolor.

9. RePete

RePete New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    thanks folks. Another day, another friggin' excuse not to go.

Sad thing is I'm not injured beyond an annoying pinched nerve, it was my kid was/is sick. I just tend to overdo things when I get into them, and recall losing about six months to a shoulder impingement when I first started catching waves. Thinkin swimming is the way to go for a couple of weeks.

10. davey

davey Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    You can lead a horse to water, but.......

pintail likes this.