Red tide

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, May 5, 2020.

1. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Thought I'd ask your thoughts about surfing or swimming during the strong red tide here in SoCal.

The current one seems to be hanging around longer than any in recent memory, but my memory sucks.

Supposed to be safe to be in the water, but I've known a few people that had negative reactions.

I also wonder what effect it is having on the local shellfish commercial fisheries, anybody know about this?

2. Killafornia

Killafornia Active Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I want to go so bad ned, but it's nasty. See the fish die off in the lagoon? Worst I've seen. I can smell it a mile away.

SdSurferguy and nedsurf like this.
  3. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    those bioluminescent videos are neat

4. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    When the breeze turns onshore you can smell it from a mile away. I surfed Friday but didn't put my head underwater. It didn't have any adverse effects. My friend had a pretty bad allergic reaction to it last week. He's the type to surf every day and he's staying out.

I don't ever remember it lasting this long before. And I don't remember it being as powerful either.

nedsurf likes this.
  5. Salinity

Salinity Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    nedsurf and SdSurferguy like this.
  6. Zzz

Zzz Active Member

Aug 15, 2017
    CA
    I’ve surfed 4 times in the last 8 days in SD beach break (starting pre-sunrise for an hour with nobody around) and I thought it was much improved yesterday. I guess it ebbs and flows with wind and tide. It certainly smells strong where I live near the beach. I feel like there would be major warnings if there was much of a health threat posed especially since it’s been here for a month.

7. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    Red tide always f%$cks me up in the way of sinus or ear infections. That, coupled with how many people are swarming Oceanside to surf windswell is enough to keep me out of the water for a bit longer.

The best part about Covid shutdowns is now I have a legitimate excuse not to surf during spring.

8. glider_boy

glider_boy Active Member

Apr 14, 2011
    SD
    I surfed last Friday and didn't bother me - water just looks kinda nasty. I can definitively say it has nothing on the Gulf Coast red tide (Karenia brevis) which causes uncontrollable coughing (even 1/4 mi or more from the beach) and leaves carpets of dead, toxic fish.

9. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I have the same problems as Human. I surfed in red tides for a good 25 years with no problem. Then I had an allergic reaction during a really strong red tide. After that, it got worse over the years. I think the body gets sensitized to certain microorganisms. At this point, even a mild red tide that most people hardly notice causes my sinuses to plug up and it takes several days to clear out. I avoid red tides completely, but they can be hard to see at dawn on a foggy morning. More than once I've started to paddle out, then caught a whiff of the smell and went back in. But I have friends that get no to very mild symptoms. And another friend who has had asthma symptoms just from the strong smell at the beach.

10. SDBoardHoarder

SDBoardHoarder Active Member

Sep 28, 2018
    San Diego
    Haven't heard about local fisheries but there is virtually no life in the harbors. Smells is terrible, soaked my wetsuit yesterday as maybe it was just me but i swear my garage started to smell. With how warm the waters are i've read this could hand around for another month or longer.... Glowing waves were only cool for so long, i'm ready for clear waters again!