Recommendations for a shaper

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by hullogfish, Aug 8, 2019.

1. hullogfish

hullogfish Active Member

Dec 22, 2006
    USA California
    I have a trip tentatively planned for next summer to France and was going to get a board shaped. I've been enjoying the crap out of my Josh Hall quad fish Simmons and was going to get something similar, though a bit more performance oriented, shaped. My JH has glass ons and is simply too nice to risk a flight. I'd want to do a fish 6'4 to 6'6, quad boxes, basically a performance fish I can take on the trip, then ride on better days here in SD. Any recommendations? I'm trying to keep the cost down for this, I had a new board broken on a flight years ago so I have a bad taste in my mouth. A Pavel and Mccallum attached for reference.

Attached Files:

2. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Manny made me a 6'4 Pintail quad for El Salvador that has big range. I'm planning to take it back there in Oct.

DJR and Thunder Chicken like this.
  3. kroo

kroo Active Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Stu Kenson..... look no further

Artz likes this.
  4. Lektriz

Lektriz Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Finland
    Why not contact the one shaper who maybe has more experience shaping fish then any other apart from steve lis?

Steve Brom

http://surfengines.com/steve.html

Always dreamed of getting a big rocketfish from Steve for the pointbreaks in Norway.

82b9614a370075a394900d1ed514da5d.jpg

Almost forgot! Larry Mabile!! Larry shaped me a magic White Pony years ago and he and Mica where very helpfull and he can get you a rely good deal!

images.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Great suggestions above, may I add another?

Marc Billion at ATAO surfboards up in Brittany. I worked with him for years, have ridden his boards, and he knows the French coast from to south (as well as having surfing in CA, etc, so he has an idea of what you'll be heading home to). Fantastic shaper, one of the best glassers I have ever seen, great fin builder/foiler, and an all-around great guy. Does solid work in that range of boards. Pick it up here to save some of the cost, ride it, and bring it home with you. PM me for info on prices, etc. You can see some of his work on Facebook or on the ATAO site, but he's much better at building than promoting!

Where are you going to be visiting? Happy to help out in any way that I can with spots/references/etc.

And, if you should ever decide to go this route, I'll work out a board train with Marc. I need to get my own new board from him soon, need to go up his way in November for a surf-film festival, need to go back up in the Spring for a weekend getaway... there's always a good reason.

6. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Best quad fish I ever surfed was from Dennis Kane, contactable through SurfySurfy or direct to DK at dksurfboards.com

http://www.surfysurfy.net/?s=dk

His 'Swordfish' is probably right on the money for you. Good pricing too.

7. Poseidon

Poseidon Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Moro Bay
    I second Steve Brom or go to Trimcraft if you want something more off the wall.

DJR likes this.
  8. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    My TrimCraft Trev is my go to short board. Will be in bag for any/all trips or good sessions.

9. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    "I'll take -Recommendations for a shaper- for $1000 Alex."

In San Diego.
    A performance based quad fish.
    Take on vacation and still ride here on better days.

"Who is Gary Hanel?"

"That's correct! You now have the lead, and control of the board." <-- intended

*bonus- custom made, Moonlight glassed, and incredibly affordable. Boards are also straight out the gate smooth, easy to ride, and fast as F%$#.

Artz likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Nice addition, Keith. I hadn't thought about GH in a little while.