Range of length for noseriders

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
our posse of a dozen or so teenagers regularly swapped boards in the lineup, quite a mix, 9'8 seemed the most popular length...Weber Performers, Nuuhiwa Noseriders, HO's, Noll Cat, Con Ugly, Olson...Haut bump's and Yater spoons were popular...if you couldn't nose ride a Performer, you just couldn't noseride
Advertised for sale as a '66 Performer. Labels, model names, various trend descriptions: straight up marketing/hype has a curious effect on the psyche in terms of acquisitiveness and maybe also on the wave riding experience?
unnamed.jpg

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
I agree with the above and FPE knows this category of surfboard riding discipline. One of the dimensions needed in my opinion is rail line. You just don’t have enough of that on boards under 9’6” regardless of rider height and weight. Thinking you have to take too many steps on longer logs could mean you need to sharpen that skill in both speed and accuracy. Lock the fin, get to the tip, and perch.

Interesting take on it. I had been wondering the same thing, more in the context of how short a noserider can be. I was curious about how something like a mini noserider might go, but that reasoning does make some sense.

Tenfooter

Nov 12, 2014
USA Rhode Island
I was in your search some years ago
And found that bigger is always better
Unless you are J Tudor
I had 9 08, 9 04 s
Etc
And now the magic number is...
See my name , a no brainer
I still ride my kids “shorter” ones
Between 9 and 9 08, but they feel
Short to me
Nothing compares to walk on a ten footer shaped by the gods we all know

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
i went from a 9'6" up to a 9'8" recently. The 9'8" also has as straighter rail line and a much wider tail. It is much more stable for me than my 9'6", i am 5'10" 170lb. I am not a great noserider... more of a cheater 5 guy. At this point i like that the 9'8" is big and stable, but small enough that i have no problem maneuvering it into the pocket. I have never tried larger than this.

Nilus

Jun 30, 2008
Haven't been logging very much lately, and do not consider myself a good hot dogger when I do, but I have always preferred boards in the lower 9' range -- like 9'2 to 9'4. I'm also 5'8 and 145 lbs. My personal theory is that it's about gait and the right number of steps to the nose as much as anything else. So I guess that is in contrast to what SG and FPE are saying. At the very least, I think there has to be a relationship between rail line and size/weight of the rider. Just as an example, I have owned Riddlers in both 10' and 9'6. The 9'6 was way better for me though neither would go on my list of top longboards I've ridden. Essentially, we're talking a variance of half a foot around the 9'6 middle point ... so perhaps 5% one way or the other.

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
I still feel ‘number of steps’ is somewhat meaningless. One full cross step distance can vary per wave/conditions from say 12” to 30” or more. Maybe the only constant is ocean water viscosity. Still believe in length of rail line and add some tail kick for control.

Members online