R5 Patagonia Wetsuit review

sightpoint

Jan 28, 2014
2' and onshore
As a rule, outfits that spend a ton of marketing capital on telling you how noble they are usually suck. Its a reflection of the culture and management of that company. Patagonia is a multi billion, multi national corporation. The fact that they hem and haw and attempt to prorate defective items tells me its likely run buy a jerkoff or collection of jerkoffs.
Absolutely agree, generally speaking. In my personal experience, Patagucci has been really, really good about standing by their stuff and putting their money where their marketing is. They've always recommended I get things repaired by them rather than getting something new, and repairs were always done quickly... granted, I brought stuff into one of their stores for repair, and didn't have to ship. They've also fixed stuff for free that friends have gotten from thrift stores, which is rad. I think a lot of companies get to a certain tipping point where their bottom line becomes more important than their mission statement, and maybe Patagonia is getting there or is past that point? I'm not sure, but at least they didn't fall off as quickly as The North Face (and the founders of both companies were climbing/surfing bros). I still stand by Patagonia's goals of less waste/more focus on environment-conscious manufacturing, and I'd be bummed if they were slipping.

Side note: before buying new, ALWAYS call Patagonia outlets to see if they have wetsuits. Some scores to be had, for sure. My 10 year old R1 top is still going strong, still warm despite some fraying and thinning of rubber.

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
Thanks. I like Xcel but they are on the bulky side and not as flexible as many. Durable AF though just dont get me started on their gloves. Hyperflex meh Budget Xcel. I really want one of those O'Neill SexyPychotechnoButtery suits but nada.
In all honesty there is not much available online. All size runs seem to be scooped up across the brands which is why I was having a look at the R4. Even Hotline are sold out. I may hit up BOZ. Not stoked on the new Isurus' so wont be doing that again.

aporta

Nov 15, 2019
Brooklyn
I have an hooded R2, and it’s a little snug but very flexible. No issues getting on or off, and I will say it’s warmer than anticipated in colder water. I’ve had it a while and hasn’t let me down yet.

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
Absolutely agree, generally speaking. In my personal experience, Patagucci has been really, really good about standing by their stuff and putting their money where their marketing is. They've always recommended I get things repaired by them rather than getting something new, and repairs were always done quickly... granted, I brought stuff into one of their stores for repair, and didn't have to ship. They've also fixed stuff for free that friends have gotten from thrift stores, which is rad. I think a lot of companies get to a certain tipping point where their bottom line becomes more important than their mission statement, and maybe Patagonia is getting there or is past that point? I'm not sure, but at least they didn't fall off as quickly as The North Face (and the founders of both companies were climbing/surfing bros). I still stand by Patagonia's goals of less waste/more focus on environment-conscious manufacturing, and I'd be bummed if they were slipping.

Side note: before buying new, ALWAYS call Patagonia outlets to see if they have wetsuits. Some scores to be had, for sure. My 10 year old R1 top is still going strong, still warm despite some fraying and thinning of rubber.
The North Face us just one brand under the massive VF Corp. umbrella. Along with Van's, Timberland,JanSport...used to have Nautical and Lee jeans too. They are huge. Corporations that big market one mission statement to their demographic but their real mission statement is money and market share.
IKEA is a prime example. Founded by a Swede that became a Nazi AFTER WWII, they market themselves as earth friendly with solar panels on 400,000 sf store roofs, recycling bins everywhere...they are the #1 consumers of wood in the world...sustainable forests only, my fucking ass. They've deforested entire countries. They market themselves as an egalitarian retailer with their furniture for the many bullshit. Its only about $$$. Get that particle board shit and child labor woven rugs into as many homes as possible with folksy ads and marketing bullshit.

The list goes on. Patagonia is no exception.

Last edited: