R5 Patagonia Wetsuit review

tuskedbeast

May 25, 2020
San Francisco
I love my two 5 year old 3 mil Patagonia suits. The front neck areas are frayed and some of the tape is peeling off here and there, but they're essentially still doing a great job. I can see them holding up for another 5 years. This winter I've added a Hydro hood with a sort of bib, and that's been nice in a particularly cold San Francisco winter (low 50s water).

I know it's a different deal having a leaky suit in truly cold water.

Last edited:

GregC

Apr 1, 2020
Maine
What the Fuck good is their environmental stance if their product is shit and they don't stand behind it?
Bingo. More expensive, less durable, more trash....
I love my two 5 year old 3 mil Patagonia suits. The front neck areas are frayed and some of the tape is peeling off here and there, but they're essentially still doing a great job. I can see them holding up for another 5 years. This winter I've added a Hyrdo hood with a sort of bib, and that's been nice in a particularly cold San Francisco winter (low 50s water).

I know it's a different deal having a leaky suit in truly cold water.
Right. I have a 2mm Patagonia that is just fine for our summers, but you really don't rely on it being that water tight.... When the air is in the single digits and the ocean is in the low 30's, it makes a huge difference. I have some older xcel winter suits that still keep me warmer that this patagonia.

nitsuj

Oct 3, 2005
The new ones are dogshit, both durability and design IMO, and they won't stand behind them. Agree 110% with PeakMaster and told their customer service as such. Also if you leave a negative review on their site they delete it, ask me how I know.

PeakMaster

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey CMC
As a rule, outfits that spend a ton of marketing capital on telling you how noble they are usually suck. Its a reflection of the culture and management of that company. Patagonia is a multi billion, multi national corporation. The fact that they hem and haw and attempt to prorate defective items tells me its likely run buy a jerkoff or collection of jerkoffs.

Bighouse

Feb 21, 2012
East End, Long Island
Seems like a good time to chime in....

I've had three generations: merino wool, yulex & new yulex. ( I think there are 4 generations?)

I still wear the merino wool version i bought about 10 years ago. A little leaky & stiff, but still very warm. The 1st gen yulex I returned because it felt like i was going to break my nose when peeling the hood off. When on, the movement in the shoulders was substantially more flexible. I only wore about 3-4 times before I gave up & returned. Patagonia confirmed they were cut wrong and sent me a gift card for new suit.

This years "new yulex" is incredible. I've worn about 6 times so far, and its very flexible, very easy to get into & very WARM. I have the R4 model and about two weeks ago surfed in 30knot winds, 36 degree air and I was still warm. Surfed about 2.5 hours.

I like these suits. I don't think I can afford a quiver of them, but for my winter suit, this is it.

two years later and I stand by this review. Same suit. My gloves are on their 6th or 7th season.

Bighouse

Feb 21, 2012
East End, Long Island
I have a pair of gloves- 4 mil? - black and white inner lining that just won't quit. Going into 4th season which is unheard of for me and gear.
Yeah white grid wool lobster gloves. Thought I ruined them this week after a few days in a row with out a rinse but a good soak got rid of the death smell they were giving off.

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
i'm confused. Can we just use stars for this review. 1 or 5stars? I need a new 5/4.

Members online