questioning the process

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by gene, Apr 25, 2007.

1. gene

gene Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Slim wrote:
    hi slim, i do pay a guy named tyler hanel and his buddy john a few bucks to rough out some of my boards. it keeps them living the surfer lifestyle.

2. rapier_96

rapier_96 Member

Jan 18, 2007
    I don't shape, but if I did I'd be listening to.........

Attached files
    [​IMG]

3. KonaKat

KonaKat Member

Apr 19, 2005
    USA Hawaii
    Hey Gene,

Is tyler hanel the son of gary hanel? If so, his father (GH) makes some mean boards. I used to ride for him when I was a wee ole lad. And I remember his long blonde hair son's running all over moonlight glass.

Once again thanks for the efforts you put into your craft; it is much appreciated! My Hornet is still the envy of many a Kona resident (not to mention she goes brah!)

Mahalo, KK

4. BoardDesign

BoardDesign Member

Mar 14, 2007
    USA
    He also pays retards like me in my sequin and glitter jumpsuit (listening to ABBA) to shape boards for him that the machinist's rough that the glue up people stuck together that the foam pourer blew........ Same story.... Just that every board made actually looks the same instead of having to finish boards that are roughed differently depending on who worked on them.. Make sense??

More fun?? Naaah todays surfers don't drink enough wine at the beach....

Cheers
    Zeph

5. Benny

Benny Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Hey Zeph - don't be pokin' at the ABBA, man.

I read your bio. I know you're from WA. My wife is too. You dang vikings take yer ABBA pretty seriously, up there. Or Celts, or Welsh, or whatever... you're all a bunch of bearded, horn-hat wearing marauders auf den nordsee. :p

Cort Gion, too. I think he's up in Oregon, somewhere. Maybe even still shaping, you never know. Shapes with a broadsword, I hear.

6. Miles

Miles Member

Feb 6, 2006
    USA
    BoardDesign wrote:
    Whew! I was hoping he was talking about you, Gary:D

7. rapier_96

rapier_96 Member

Jan 18, 2007
    BoardDesign wrote:

More fun?? Naaah todays surfers don't drink enough wine at the beach....

Cheers
    Zeph

:D:D Just had me a bottle of "Two Buck Chuck" today at the beach. :cool::cool:

8. Guest

Guest Guest

tentoesed wrote:
    I babysat for Mama Cass .. up at the top of Laurel Canyon ... she was a trip ... would walk around the house neked .. She had a beautiful voice and she had a beautiful little daughter who I was looking after. .

AND I saw Jimi Hendrix at the Forum .. very close up .... I am a relic ... . I went with the Topanga crew of Davey Hilton, Bunker Spreckles, George Trafton, Skp Smith and Terry who was behind Natural Progression boards. The whole community flew on mescaline rather than drove. It was very pure though and just made me laugh so hard that I rolled off of a topanga balcony, laughing onto the beach, just kept laughing. About the badger in the Cream song. That was fun :). Hendrix was when RCA was in Australia .. Bing. Speaking of which .. have you talked with RCA lately? What a smart score on the Apple stock .. Got any Google?

BB King .. Eric Clapton .... Robert Cray ... Joe Satriani .. (?spelling) - Jimmy Page .. great guitarists ..

Then all of the Jazz guys because RA was taking me to Shelley's Manne Hole at 15. Miles Davis and Roland Kirk and Hancock and Chick Corea and the Ala Moana surf guy who is a pianist .. and so many I can't even remember ... .another great place for close up listening . Bobby Short ... completely different I know .. but still a velvet voice.

First Led Zep concert in LA was amazing .... also Grand Funk and Spirit and Edgar Winter at the Santa Monica Civic auditorium .. such a small and close place .. Jagger was like a row away and nice.. Such a great time for music. Which brings me around to Pacific Vibrations ... it had great music .. Bing really!? I can not believe that you don't have a copy of that! That was the only film that RA was really in .. on your boards ... so I am just surprised. It was available for a long time until the music rights got entered into the equation. I would love to have a copy. I was sitting in front of nixon's house watching RA and talking to the camera for a split second .. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    mhc904 wrote:
    Now if he was talking about a wetsuit..........Texas shure has changed.;)

10. MoonShadow

MoonShadow New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    USA Idaho
    I just caught Gene and Zeph trying to find my secret surf spot in Baja.

Bing

Attached files
    [​IMG]