quad fin rec?

bfat

Dec 20, 2018
Brooklyn/Maine
Welp. End of the session, riding in prone, tired, not really paying attention, and now I've got a snapped fin and a real nasty bruise on my thigh.

Was riding a plastic set of quad controllers in my mini simmons. Would like to try something different.

Any recs for smooth down the line drive with a little release for a wide-tailed shorty?

Wooden builds intrigue...

Last edited:

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
I second the Tyler warren quads. I have only owned 3 sets of quads in my surf career so I don’t have vast knowledge. But the Tyler quads in large work fine for me. I tried those controller fins and compared to the Tyler, the Tyler has more release and pivot.

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
I wasn't happy with fin combinations with all four fins raked. After much experimentation I went with a larger, standard template forward of smaller upright fins. I recommend trying different arrangements to see what works with your situation.

JTS

Mar 24, 2005
I have several boards set up as quads, I tried some of Robin Mair’s Hanalei fins - specifically the Q2 set and found they really made a difference, fast, drivey and loose feeling. I’ve since ordered some other sets and been really happy with them. Robin has been shaping on Kauai for decades and has been working on developing fins for quite a while. He has a strong following among the kneeboard crew.

He is also a really good guy to deal with, I’m not involved in anyway with him just a satisfied customer
Check his work out
Jim

www.Hanalei-fins.surf

hankster

Nov 12, 2013
San Francisco
+1 regarding Robin. IIRC, he used to design racing yachts in South Africa, so there's some engineering involved in his fins and surfboard designs. He's a gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. I use his fins in the boards he shaped for me from 6'7" quad eggs to 9'1" quad big guns.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Do yourself a favor and check out Hanalei Fins. Robin Mair has been building and designing quad boards and fins for over 20 years. His background is in engineering. He is A stickler for detail as well as meticulous in testing all his designs. Robin is an interesting guy and avalible to answer all your questions.