Puerto Rico in late June

May 10, 2019
University City
Aloha all! My wife's friend is getting married in Puerto Rico in late June, we're going, does anyone have any advice on the place for me? I'd like to surf, but mainly want to stay in nice place. Please share anything that might be helpful! Mahalo!

May 10, 2019
University City
Thank you! Rad!
I sure many will have ideas for you, need a rough idea of the wedding location, to better help you out.
The wedding is in Baja Vega. Is anywhere less buggy? While my wife is lovely and tropical, Jamaican, but born in PR, the fewer biting insects, the better for her. I'm not traveling with a board, but am happy to rent and will have my fins & handplane for bodysurfing too.

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
Hi,
My dad lived in PR for 8 years i used to go like twice a year. At that time i was more of a saltwatwer flyfisherman more than surfer. But i have been all over the country and multiple beach areas.

Where Baja Vega is most likely you wont find many waves unless there is an odd storm.

West coast is where the waves are, but like said summer can be flat.

Also as an FYI late june is really hot and humid so be prepared for that.

The country is small so you can get about anywhere in a few hours.

If you want a more "american" experience Rincon area has more of the amenities main land travelers would be used to. If you want a more local experience go north or south from there. A good thing about that rincon point is it can take a swell from 3 directions... so if there are waves i would think that is best bet.

I used to stay in the SW corner of PR around cabo rojo.. nice beaches and very isolated.

If waves just are not happening and you want nice beaches and dsnorkeling etc... take the ferry or plane to culebra.. it is the prettiest water on the island in my opinion... world class white sand carribean beaches.

and lastly bugs are an issue all over PR. Both mosquitos and even worse no-seeums. Chickenguna is very common insect born disease there. If its a beach and there is no wind there will be bugs, if you are close to mangroves and lagoons even more bugs. Absolutely bring bug spray and use it.

May 10, 2019
University City
Thanks folks! For a variety of reasons we have found a nice little spot in Old San Juan, AC & a kitchen and we are good, I do not fiend for surf anymore, so if it's up, I'll hit it. Additionally, we'll invest heavily in bug spray and breathable long sleeves & pants.