Prone Paddle Boards?

PaulJensen

Feb 16, 2004
Washington State - USA

(above) My hollow 12'er...

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
Amazing. I think about how a denser boat would go, the obsession with lightness makes for some terrible Long boards. My bark feels every bump and every gust across the beam. I know my Sailboat benefits in terms of sea kindliness from its weight. I gladly pay the speed penalty.

waveglider619

Sep 8, 2017
SD
Amazing. I think about how a denser boat would go, the obsession with lightness makes for some terrible Long boards. My bark feels every bump and every gust across the beam. I know my Sailboat benefits in terms of sea kindliness from its weight. I gladly pay the speed penalty.
I just talked to Joe yesterday about getting a 14 footer and he was saying that the carbon fiber boards tend too be too light for harsher conditions and he's suggesting the boards be a little heavier.

pintail

Feb 19, 2004
LA, California
Depends on the swell. I've ridden swells on a small paddleboard, 12', a couple of hundred yards offshore, got rides of twenty yards and more if the swell direction was suitable for the area. Best time I've had was when I was in among a pod of dolphins, all riding the same swell with me.

SharkB8

Sep 21, 2011
USA Virginia
I’m not great at catching bumps on prone but decent at it in a oc1. I really think everyone that surfs should try prone. It’s such a eye opener of how out of paddle shape we are. This was at the end of my first race. 9 miler when I had only done 4-4.5 miles usually. Still new to it but just at the finish out of water and gas my dad is yelling “are you almost done?” I kept laughing until I finished. I didn’t want to look at a prone for a week after that.
427BF68C-9381-4DA9-9FAE-7A949376B8D2.png

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
I’m not great at catching bumps on prone but decent at it in a oc1. I really think everyone that surfs should try prone. It’s such a eye opener of how out of paddle shape we are. This was at the end of my first race. 9 miler when I had only done 4-4.5 miles usually. Still new to it but just at the finish out of water and gas my dad is yelling “are you almost done?” I kept laughing until I finished. I didn’t want to look at a prone for a week after that. View attachment 28083
True. Do it for a month consistently and you’ll notice how much better you’re paddling for the surfin