Prone Paddle Boards?

Tenfooter

Nov 12, 2014
USA Rhode Island
I consider myself an avid knee paddler on my longboards but I've always struggled to do it on my 18' Bark. It's so narrow it really rolls back and forth. It's doable but eventually I give up and go back to prone. But I could also just be out of practice/unskilled. I enjoy prone, having my face skimming close to the water at speed is a fantastic feeling.

The “real “guys in Australia compete on those only on their knees. I tried that and is almost imposible
Bc is very tippy , Bc my panza gets in between, and Bc to do it right you will have to be a contortionist
I’m far away from that

ClassicRider

Sep 22, 2014
Hawaii
I have been looking for a good prone paddle board for the last couple of months and haven't found one yet. But just in the last 2 months my right shoulder has been starting to cause a little pain. Does any one out there recommend prone paddle for building or getting shoulders stronger again as a form of exercise/physical therepy?

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
I paddle and I have a shoulder issue. Paddling is a repetitive motion causing my condition to be worse grossly. I weigh that, as we all would against the benefits of the activity ie strength, flexibility, stress relief etc...there will be a point when I'll give the paddling up and surfing as well.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
You may want to get in touch with Ricky Carroll. I’m sure he would make you Prone Paddle Boad.

thomas

Nov 22, 2016
San Diego
I paddle and I have a shoulder issue. Paddling is a repetitive motion causing my condition to be worse grossly. I weigh that, as we all would against the benefits of the activity ie strength, flexibility, stress relief etc...there will be a point when I'll give the paddling up and surfing as well.
Do you think stand up paddling would be easier on the shoulders? I have back and hip issues that limit my surfing, so "gasp"!, been thinking of the SUP...

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
Do you think stand up paddling would be easier on the shoulders? I have back and hip issues that limit my surfing, so "gasp"!, been thinking of the SUP...

The people I know that had to sup did it for shoulder reasons. It can wreck your knees, common I guess tho. Knee paddling offers my shoulders a break. I go prone for a number if strokes the go to my knees for a bit. I do about 3 to 6 miles. I have a 19' carbon so it glides a mile a stroke.

surf4food

Feb 10, 2017
San Diego

Nothing wrong with SUP. Whether or not SUPs belong in the lineup is an issue there will never be a consensus on but if you're doing it for conditioning purposes far away from the lineup (like bays, lakes, harbors, or even in the ocean far past the lineup) it's a non issue. I flatwater SUP and love it. Most surfers I know do it for conditioning and exercising on flat days.