Prone Paddle Boards?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by John, Apr 25, 2020.

1. SeaSpite

SeaSpite Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
  2. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    it DOES help a lot with the paddling, but if you have bad shoulders already .....
    very rare in the east coast, unless you want a new one. Warm winds in RI sells the stock Barks, but you are talking around 1400 at least
    I think mine is a stock Bark, probably serial# 2, that shit is so sold, but works perfectly fine, is a 12 or a 14, not sure
    I even entered into the watermans challenge last summer, and ended up 6th
    which for me is awesome
    IMHO, get one, and train with it as much as you can
    but then you have to deal with most local pussies complaining that you catch too many waves
    fuck 'em
    while I spend a lot of time training to get stronger shoulders, they are getting wasted at the bar with coors light beer

payasos

3. Beachfins

Beachfins New Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Miami Beach
    Prone paddler here. Love mine. I’ve got a wonky left shoulder, but it doesn’t seem to be bothered by paddling. Neck gets stiff here and there, but as you find comfortable positioning, the stiffness eases. I’ve got a 12’ Bark Commander Surftech that I bought new here in Miami. Used ones don’t pop up too often. Prone paddling is a legit workout and absolutely has improved my paddle strength when I surf.

DJR likes this.
  4. avaday

avaday Member

Oct 9, 2015
    USA New York
    I have a 14ft Eaton recreational model. always take it out after not surfing for awhile on the bay. so much fun. glide is so sweet. paddles it from MTK to Block Island once. 6hours. not as much fun haha.

glidewaves and Tenfooter like this.
  5. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    When I first got my Bark I entered a race. It was supposed to be 6 miles but due to an error in the course buoy it ended up being 8+ miles. First lap was a blast. Second lap I started to have severe doubts about my choices. Third lap I'm pretty sure I died. Many of these guys do 12 miles as a warm up, I guess I need to train a lot more. I never had shoulder pain/issues using it, but definitely cramping and pain in my upper back/neck.

bluemarlin04 and DJR like this.
  6. bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04 Active Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Hawaii
    I think Molokai to Oahu and Catalina are the two premier distance races

7. surf4food

surf4food Member

Feb 10, 2017
    San Diego
    I tried one once and liked it. I would imagine it WOULD be tough on the shoulders and back. Just think about long paddle on your longboard while surfing and now imagine just paddling and paddling for over an hour. Definitely seems it would be a good idea to do conditioning exercises if you're going to take up prone paddle boarding.

8. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    My favorite thing is to paddle off shore maybe 500 yards or so and just sit on it looking around everywhere and nowhere

9. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    Here's one for cheap. Just popped up in San Diego

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 11.01.06 AM.png