Post your skate vids

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
In about 1992 I had reigned myself that skateboarding was dead and lost to the prior years of skaters walking around from stair set to stair set w/ boards sporting nut-hugger 40mm wheels and baggy pants with legs wide enough for entire families of raccoons to live in.

Hah! You're right about all those things. I could never do flip tricks and never got into the stairs, tiny wheels, super baggy pants, or popsicles. I stopped skating just as they were coming out -- mostly stopping when I broke my wrist at a (paid indoor) skatepark maybe two months after this was filmed. It's funny how things have come back in fashion in varying degrees, like pools, parks, and shaped boards. I do miss the ramps in the woods BUT it sure is easier as a grown man to be going to a free municipal park instead of trespassing to get to that old busted ramp with the wonky coping and cracked plywood. :p

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Lansdowne has a very special place in my skateboard psyche to this day... Lansdowne was (and still is) a diamond in the rough. For me back in the late 1970's and 1980's, Lansdowne was a godsend because all the privately owned skateboard parks were shutting down and Lansdowne was one of the few municipal skateparks in the nation (if not the world) so Lansdowne skateboard park was not at risk of closing down due to lack of profits, etc. Albeit Lansdowne is a "first generation skatepark" with no vert or challenging bowls, it was a fun park to cruise, find flowing lines in, and grab some air, back when wheels were bigger and a tad bit softer and could carry speed....

If you ever find yourself down that way near Baltimore, it is a pilgrimage that all mid-Atlantic to north-east coast skateboarder must make! Those flowing lines are still there to surf the concrete and feel the vibe from literally 40 plus years ago when skateboarding was much closer to surfing roots than it is today.....

Lansdowne can be skated with modern day hard durometer park wheels but a slightly softer wheel such as a 97a will carry more speed. Also watch the the top section of the snake run, the ditch-like section can buck you heading out of it toward the sweeping turn to the right, so take some time dialing it in....

If you do make it to Lansdowne, post up story of your skate safari w/ pics and vids!!!

I finally got down to Lansdowne! I had an open day during the week and decided to run down to Maryland to hit a few skateparks. I was a bit spent by the time I was driving by Lansdowne but how could I not pop in to at least check it out? It took me a minute to survey it all, let it soak in, and figure out how to approach it. Your description is right on all around. Such a tight top ditch section, almost like it was pinching me off as I picked up speed. I really enjoyed cruising those snake runs and liked how you can basically roll and flow anywhere. So many possibilities. I feel like you could spend a whole day there just finding lines. A real sense of history there. Super rad -- I look forward to getting back down there sometime!

Lansdowne.jpg

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo
I finally got down to Lansdowne! I had an open day during the week and decided to run down to Maryland to hit a few skateparks. I was a bit spent by the time I was driving by Lansdowne but how could I not pop in to at least check it out? It took me a minute to survey it all, let it soak in, and figure out how to approach it. Your description is right on all around. Such a tight top ditch section, almost like it was pinching me off as I picked up speed. I really enjoyed cruising those snake runs and liked how you can basically roll and flow anywhere. So many possibilities. I feel like you could spend a whole day there just finding lines. A real sense of history there. Super rad -- I look forward to getting back down there sometime!

View attachment 51093
Such a surfy pic!! Love that section of the snake run. So glad you made it there. Bucket list item checked off and will be calling you back for more fun surf sessions…