Post your skate vids

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Here let me start with the Lansdowne 40th year celebration/reunion. Me and my good skate/snowboard bro, David Clark, flew back to Baltimore, MD from Denver to celebrate this milestone of one of the oldest municipal skateparks in the USA.

Nice! How did you like Lansdowne? I'm hoping to drift down there at some point to try it out. I'm sure it's obviously not as refined as all the new parks, but I've always liked the idea of trying out an OG park like that.

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo
Nice! How did you like Lansdowne? I'm hoping to drift down there at some point to try it out. I'm sure it's obviously not as refined as all the new parks, but I've always liked the idea of trying out an OG park like that.
Lansdowne has a very special place in my skateboard psyche to this day... Lansdowne was (and still is) a diamond in the rough. For me back in the late 1970's and 1980's, Lansdowne was a godsend because all the privately owned skateboard parks were shutting down and Lansdowne was one of the few municipal skateparks in the nation (if not the world) so Lansdowne skateboard park was not at risk of closing down due to lack of profits, etc. Albeit Lansdowne is a "first generation skatepark" with no vert or challenging bowls, it was a fun park to cruise, find flowing lines in, and grab some air, back when wheels were bigger and a tad bit softer and could carry speed....

If you ever find yourself down that way near Baltimore, it is a pilgrimage that all mid-Atlantic to north-east coast skateboarder must make! Those flowing lines are still there to surf the concrete and feel the vibe from literally 40 plus years ago when skateboarding was much closer to surfing roots than it is today.....

Lansdowne can be skated with modern day hard durometer park wheels but a slightly softer wheel such as a 97a will carry more speed. Also watch the the top section of the snake run, the ditch-like section can buck you heading out of it toward the sweeping turn to the right, so take some time dialing it in....

If you do make it to Lansdowne, post up story of your skate safari w/ pics and vids!!!

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Lansdowne has a very special place in my skateboard psyche to this day... Lansdowne was (and still is) a diamond in the rough. For me back in the late 1970's and 1980's, Lansdowne was a godsend because all the privately owned skateboard parks were shutting down and Lansdowne was one of the few municipal skateparks in the nation (if not the world) so Lansdowne skateboard park was not at risk of closing down due to lack of profits, etc. Albeit Lansdowne is a "first generation skatepark" with no vert or challenging bowls, it was a fun park to cruise, find flowing lines in, and grab some air, back when wheels were bigger and a tad bit softer and could carry speed....

If you ever find yourself down that way near Baltimore, it is a pilgrimage that all mid-Atlantic to north-east coast skateboarder must make! Those flowing lines are still there to surf the concrete and feel the vibe from literally 40 plus years ago when skateboarding was much closer to surfing roots than it is today.....

Lansdowne can be skated with modern day hard durometer park wheels but a slightly softer wheel such as a 97a will carry more speed. Also watch the the top section of the snake run, the ditch-like section can buck you heading out of it toward the sweeping turn to the right, so take some time dialing it in....

If you do make it to Lansdowne, post up story of your skate safari w/ pics and vids!!!

Awesome!!! Your enthusiasm ticked my interest-o-meter up a few notches. I actually have a week off of work coming up -- not sure if I can talk my wife into the road trip, but she is often game for adventure so I'll see what I can do. I've got some Powell Rat Bones (60mm, 90A) that I haven't tried yet that I thought seemed appropriate for the terrain as well as the historical aspect. I'll keep you updated for sure.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Ah hah! I've been searching for this for years and finally found it. VHS footage of skating a mini ramp in the woods in 1992. The dream at the time was to eventually edit the footage down using two VCRs and overdub some period-correct Pearl Jam for the soundtrack... I never finished it back then but finally put the cherry on top with that music yesterday, 29 years later. I really have to give my dad some huge props for this one -- I was somehow able to talk him into sneaking across some lawns and creeping around in the woods behind houses to get this footage, not to mention that he even climbed up a tree and stood on the deck of this rickety ramp to get what turned out to be pretty nice footage.

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo
Love seeing stuff like this from peoples back in the day footage, especially skateboarding. In about 1992 I had reigned myself that skateboarding was dead and lost to the prior years of skaters walking around from stair set to stair set w/ boards sporting nut-hugger 40mm wheels and baggy pants with legs wide enough for entire families of raccoons to live in. So I went surfing and even stopped looking at the likes of Thrasher Magazine. But little to known to me that there was this crew of skaters who kept the backyard mini-ramps alive (though rotting from the underneath) and still skating them. Slowly but surely skateboarding got rid of the wheels that didn't roll, tossed out the baggy pants (given to the incliners and for the emo-dancers to find decades later). The boards all looked the same but mini-ramps had survived, not so much in the woods, but in design to be placed in municipal skateparks.... I might have the years wrong, but the mini-ramp survived the scourge of pre-fab skateparks and became the modern day concrete skatepark transitions along with the return of pools and bowls... I got back into skateboarding pretty heavily in the later 1990's and stuck with to kind of today, but at 58, I'm picking and choosing what I'm willing to skate... Sure enjoy the mini-halfpipes and micro-halfpipes... Thanks for sharing this blast from the past of some ripping it up in the woods!