Poll: shoulder issues and chest zip wetsuits

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by pintail, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:43 PM.

1. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I know there are multiple confounding issues (previous shoulder problems, current problems, surgical outcomes) but, overall I'm interested in opinions from people who use chest zip suits and believe getting in and out of them has either caused or aggravated a shoulder issue. Someone in a previous thread mentioned this, and aroused my curiosity and interest. If you have a shoulder problem that makes it impossible to use a chest zip, it's not relevant to this inquiry. Thanks!

Knots likes this.
  2. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    One of this biggest issues I see people have is getting the suit over their shoulder. If you wear a rash guard it makes it much easier and if you try the wrong side first it makes it extremely difficult as well

DanSan and Basenji703 like this.
  3. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
  4. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Appreciate the responses, but I'm trying to hear from people who think chest zip suits are hurting their shoulders. Thanks again.

5. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Well they would be hurting my shoulders if I didn’t put them on and take them off properly. :)

6. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    I switch back to back zip...i think all the houdini..twisting..renching...led to my shoulder surgery in 2017...
    Since..going back to back zip xcel...no problem....at all.

7. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Surfing often (and weekly bowling) keeps my shoulder sore, but the chest zip definitely isn't helping.

8. SeabassMan

SeabassMan New Member

Aug 8, 2019
    Bodega Bay
    Depends on which shoulder maybe?. My right shoulder is kind of jacked up. I use a 5-4-3 Excel hoodie at home and only use a back zip on travels to warmer places or very rare warmer water days here in NorCal. I actually had more shoulder problem with the back zip as I had to do the funky reach-around to grab and pull the zipper cord with my right arm (right handed). I don't think the chest zip had much to do with my shoulder but I do try to slow down the froth factor to not aggravate things, because there is quite a bit of contortion needed to get in and out. I think it would be worse on my left shoulder the way that the Excel suits are built.

9. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I definitely feel the 4 mil and thicker chest zip suits cause my shoulder pain. I believe that taking my time both on and off might prevent issues but as mentioned the froth factor kicks in. By the time I remember to slow down it’s already too late. The rest of the Winter things get worse not better. Boy does the warm air, sun, and water feel good as Spring then Summer move in. Things heal slowly and discomfort is minimal then the cycle returns when rubber gets thicker.

10. surfore

surfore Active Member

Mar 2, 2004
    USA California
    Same here...I feel my shoulders are being pulled down by my chest zip suits. I stopped wearing my Matuse 3/2 because of it but don’t feel it in my Matuse 2 mill back zip. I just got a 2/2 Isurus no zip and the shoulder issues are back again. Damn.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 10:04 AM