Podcasts: Surfing or Otherwise

TonyPR

Aug 4, 2014
Puerto Rico
Longboardarian podcast is pretty cool, it’s done by my buddy Tupi, a puerto rican longboarder who is now living in Ventura... really cool interviews and he likes to geek out on board design.

I have been trying to get Jim Phillips to do an interview with him for quite a while, I believe it’s necessary as I am sure people will enjoy all of his stories. I am personally a Jim fan and want to hear his stories about surfing Puerto Rico in the 70s... Jim, Andrew contact me, I’ll give you Tupi’s cell phone number.

Salty

May 1, 2010
USA California
Check out Sunday Joint, an EOS adjacent podcast. Brothers Jamie and Tyler Breuer take a topic from the Encyclopedia of Surfing and expand upon it in a casual and fun way. It's crazy how much surf culture knowledge they both possess.

Reactions: DJR

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
The ones I really liked were Podaloha, but haven’t been any new ones in a long time.
Oh man I used to sit by the fire outside at night with a cold beer and just listen over and over. I loved how guys like Skip and Gerray would just still kind of sound awestruck that they got to hang out with and stills be friends with Strauch

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
Surf Splendor is really great. He is not only informative himself with his interviews but you can also tell he is actually interested in the conversation. The Derek Hynd interview is absolutely insane. If you are into Devon Howard his interview is top notch.
I’m a sucker for all of Devon Howard’s interviews anywhere
Hynd always

Spiral Bee

Mar 4, 2021
Eastern Massachusetts
The Sunday Joint has been really fun and I love that it's East Coast-savvy.

Ain't that Swell: listening to those two is like taking a whiff of smelling salts. They shake me out of whatever morose preoccupation I might be wrapped up in and dissolve it into hilarity and froth.

Surf Splendor: I think DLS is a great interviewer and a super-smart, interested guy, but his great flaw in my opinion is that he sees *everything* and *everybody* through the eyes of an entrepreneur. It's all about business models, how do you monetize not just your skills, but your lifestyle and your attitude. I get it. It's how his mind works, and frankly it's how many in the surfing biz need to think to make a living, in spite of all the claims surfing has made over the years for being 'soulful', rebellious, authentic, hell even 'feral' etc. Yes because ultimately even 'soul' and 'authenticity' can be commodified or imaged through instagram. I'm not naive to that. But sometimes he drags some of the most unlikely of interviewees into discussions of their "business model" or their "brand" or whatever, and I start to feel like he's sucking them into his monochromatic matrix.