Podcasts: Surfing or Otherwise

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Two good podcast episodes this week - Scott Bass interviews Christian Beamish on the Boardroom Podcast and David Scales interviews Martin Daly on Surf Splendor (it may even be palatable to you, ice-cream)

Both worth a listen IMO

dsquare

May 16, 2013
USA Hawaii
For you Star Wars fanboys there are two good ones out right now: "Inside Star Wars" (Wondery), and "American Innovations" (Wondery) has a Star Wars Cinema Technology series (Season 15). Both are pretty interesting. In general "American Innovations" is pretty interesting.

I've been channeling my inner NPR and listening to "99% Invisible" (you love it or hate it- the host especially) ,and "The Anthropocene" are also nice podcasts with random bits of things, not overly political, not overly hipster. Just interesting.

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Not sure if I posted this already but this is an excellent series

http://wearelookingsideways.com/podcasts

its a mix of surf, skate, snow and random other people with interesting stories. Matt is a great interviewer and generally brings some interesting things out of his guests that aren't just the standard interview answers.

Gretsch

Aug 31, 2008
USA
I've started going down the rabbithole of podcasts. I'm late to the game for sure, but the fact you can find people as amped on the niche shit you're into is pretty cool. That being said, I feel like not all podcasts are created equal. I don't have a long commute, so I like short ones, although I do have one music specific podcast that I love and it's looooooong.

Another thing: I like podcasts where the dude running it lets the guests do most of the talking. I'm not interested in hearing Podcast's guy's resume of what an insider he is. Another music one I used to listen to was too much of the host acting like he knows every band or record pressed in existence. However, if the guest is good enough, I'll suffer through it.

Surfing-wise I listen to the Bodega Boarder Crew when the guest interests me. While I love old school hip hop, I think the pairing with surfing is kinda an odd one, but whatever, shoot your shot.

I really like Occy's podcast because it's short, it's got good guests and stories. The Christian Fletcher one is a fav.

I tried that Swell Season Radio but didn't really go back to it.

Any other GOOD surfing podcasts out there? I feel like the world needs a cool surfboard shaping podcast. Maybe I'm wrong.

Not SURFING but stuff you might like HouseofSuffering....

Cocaine and Rhinestones: you won't find a deeper dive into old school country. It's phenomenal.

A History of Rock Music in 500 Songs: Dry as toast but AMAZING content. I listen religiously.

Low Profile: Genuine, earnest albeit amateurish interviews with musicians you've probably never heard of. The Cleaners from Venus episode is a favorite.

All are available in your usual podcast platforms. Cocaine and Rhinestones is also on Spotify.

Hodaddy81

Feb 2, 2021
Jersey
Surf Splendor is really great. He is not only informative himself with his interviews but you can also tell he is actually interested in the conversation. The Derek Hynd interview is absolutely insane. If you are into Devon Howard his interview is top notch.

Reactions: DJR

fluidworks

Dec 1, 2019
San Luis Obispo, CA
Find myself enjoying surfing related pods less and less as they increasingly turn into long ass ad reads, constantly pushing new mediocre merch, etc.

I can only hear about the virtues of athletic greens or see yet another cheaply made T shirt with a logo that looks like another product logo so many times.

I like Meateater for all things outdoors and hunting. Pure cinema podcast for film deep dives, The Dollop for funny stories of American history. The Daily for quick current events.