Podcasts: Surfing or Otherwise

jbb

Mar 17, 2010
Southern California
David Scales mediating the throw down between Chaz Smith and that guy from Stab (I think) was the surfer version of Orange County Housewives; unfortunate and sad, and ironically entertaining. Surf Splendor, Grit, and Spit should serve up something somewhere that surfers will like. Some is industry, some is local, some is personal. Having Parmenter, Pyzel, Martz, Warshaw, etc... mean you get to listen to some really knowledgeable people with a huge variety of opinions and backgrounds.

Surf Simply is my favorite but can go months without posting- when they do, its worth it.

Spit, Grit, Surf Splendor. WTF? The branding is a mess. Trying way too hard to be hip. The wine chat with Josh Hall was a precious moment.

Could give a shit what this guy thinks about anything. Can't stand David Lee Scales except when he's asking questions of a fabricator.
Just my opinion

Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
Under the category of, "Other"

WTF Pod Cast w Marc Maron
Great conversationalist with broad knowledge about music, literature, cinema, art, pop culture and especially comedy. I've been turned on to more new musical artists and comedians because of this guy. Check out some of my favorite talks with:

John Hammond, Kim Deal, Mark Mothersbaugh, Iggy Pop, Keith Richards, Taj Mahal, Paul Thomas Anderson, Norman Lear , Martin Landau, Terry Gross, Randy Newman, Jennifer Lawerece, Kim Gordon, josh Homme, Wm Friedkin, Peter Fonda, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Ali Wong, Neil Young, Robin Williams, Walter Hill, Nick Nolte, Louis CK, Garry Shandling, Wayne Cramerr, Herb Alpert, Roger Waters, J Mascis and famously, Barack Obama.

Most recent 50 episodes are free

http://www.wtfpod.com/people/
Maron is a tresure. A natural interviewer. The Garage!

icecreamheadache

Jan 14, 2006
I second Ain’t That Swell. Best poddy in the surf business. Smart, funny, anti-sexist, and done in Australian so it makes you feel like you’re in Indo with a bunch of those ubiquitous overwrought coal miners from the underworld who drink like fish, surf like madmen and laugh like this miserable human existence ain’t just that. Up the fuckin swellians!

Scott Bass is a good egg. However, that unholy monstrosity of podcast goat fuckery he did with David Lee Scales where they were both trying to do their own podcasts at the same time was an insult to human decency. And dragged him into that narcissistic fanboy drivel DLS utters... though he does have good guests like Wayne-O and Andreini (while frrrrrrrothing out loud about trying to get A list celebs like K Slater on). I’m sure Surf Splendor guy is a peach and all but something about his attitude and voice rubs me wrong. And not in a good way.

I vaguely recall Smukes being on a podcast somewhere. Was that with Bass?

thomas

Nov 22, 2016
San Diego
I second Ain’t That Swell. Best poddy in the surf business. Smart, funny, anti-sexist, and done in Australian so it makes you feel like you’re in Indo with a bunch of those ubiquitous overwrought coal miners from the underworld who drink like fish, surf like madmen and laugh like this miserable human existence ain’t just that. Up the fuckin swellians!

Scott Bass is a good egg. However, that unholy monstrosity of podcast goat fuckery he did with David Lee Scales where they were both trying to do their own podcasts at the same time was an insult to human decency. And dragged him into that narcissistic fanboy drivel DLS utters... though he does have good guests like Wayne-O and Andreini (while frrrrrrrothing out loud about trying to get A list celebs like K Slater on). I’m sure Surf Splendor guy is a peach and all but something about his attitude and voice rubs me wrong. And not in a good way.

I vaguely recall Smukes being on a podcast somewhere. Was that with Bass?
Totally agree...I even liked the Chas Smith stuff, but Scales...ugh...