Pig vs noserider comparison?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by EcBob, Nov 25, 2012.

1. EcBob

EcBob New Member

Jul 9, 2011
    You think this particular comparison works while showing them on two different waves?

http://diversesurf.com.au/logging-pig-vs-noserider/

2. gizzard

gizzard New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    USA Texas
    I don't think the comparision works. Pretty sure the second video is Florida beak break not a point and Justin Q would kill either wave on a barn door. I liked both videos thanks for posting. I got a JP pig and a SWT currently in production from JP so it was still nice to see the 2 videos even though both of my boards will be used in sloppy beach break waves.

3. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I think I would generally agree with the description, and I think some parts of those clips do seem to exemplify each of those boards. You're right though -- there are a lot of different variables between the two videos besides just the boards. Without someone having ridden both types of board themselves, it may be hard to see those examples and fully get it.

A semi-related story: Last time I surfed, a guy asked me how I liked my board (Phillips pig). I was telling him how I loved it, and I mentioned that it likes to sit right in the pocket without outrunning sections like some of my other boards tend to do. I meant that it was a nice attribute, so I was a little puzzled by his disappointed sounding reply: "Ahh, yeah. Must be all the drag from that big fin. Ya gotta get a fin like this instead... [lifts board to show me his cutaway fin]." With that, he spun around to take off on a wave, and he promptly got swallowed behind a section that the pig would have easily made. I wasn't saying that the pig gets outrun by the wave, but moreso finds its own little zone of equilibrium within the wave. Outrunning also isn't necessarily a negative attribute for my other boards. It's more a matter of understanding the tendencies of each board and riding them accordingly.

4. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Describe a color you've never seen... People always say my boards are too heavy, too round, too flat... Sigh.

5. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    JP pig fer sale... Was headed to Joisey... Now at SURFY SURFY in Leucadia.

Attached files
    [​IMG]

6. surfore

surfore Active Member

Mar 2, 2004
    USA California
    There's the Pig and a Magic Ham too.....

9'0" Magic Ham
    • 1" redwood stringer
    • Volan deck patch
    • Diamond logo 1/3 up, offset right
    • Single fin box
    • NO leash loop or drill through

9'8" Pig
    • Rootbeer tint top and bottom
    • 2" balsa
    • Diamond logo 1/3 up, offset right
    • Fin box w/ drill though leash hole

7. P-TownSurfer

P-TownSurfer New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    USA Oregon
    SMUKES wrote:
    WOW, that is a beaut! Not that I can afford it, but anyone (Surfore?) know what the price is on that bad boy?

8. Stef

Stef Active Member

Nov 8, 2004
    sharp park
    whats the deal with the magic ham ?

curious if its something i need to lust after .....

are there pics of the magic ham ??

9. EcBob

EcBob New Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Screw the glider board thing Surfore price on pig?

10. surfore

surfore Active Member

Mar 2, 2004
    USA California
    $1,205 for the rootbeer pig