Hermosa Beach, California
Mine put me in a happy place.

ContactSheet-001_600px_wide.jpg

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
Mine put me in a happy place.

View attachment 32790
You actually look like you can really handle that thing. I had a 9'10" Jacobs that was more or less a clone of the PE model. I actually liked it a little better, because they brought out the width a tad more. which was my issue with the Hobie PE. Unfortunately, a friend borrowed that board and got busted in a pot dealing crackdown. They impounded his Volkswagen van with my surfboard inside. Both were never to be seen again.

Wadeinthewater

Jul 30, 2020
Haleiwa HI
Thanks Salty:)....since we are on the subject of riding these boards....they are definitely an acquired taste! But so was a longboard after going short back in 60's and not riding one till the 90's again. As far as the Phil Edwards boards, besides the fun of riding something with that kind of provenance, they do have a different feel and taking the time to get comfortable on them is kind of an extension of going from short to long, performance longboard to Log etc. Just a different feel and for me the more I mix up the different kinds of boards i ride the more stoked I stay. I think the analogy for these classics is just like historic race cars or vintage aircraft. The modern versions are certainly more user friendly but look how popular vintage aircraft and old race cars are.
Anyway, don't want to ramble on too much, to each his own but if you are into it it's a pretty fun thing to share.
Btw, here's part one, it's 100 percent the 9'10" Hobie PE model. Agin, not particularly user friendly compared to what is available today but a LOT of fun.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
Btw, here's part one, it's 100 percent the 9'10" Hobie PE model. Agin, not particularly user friendly compared to what is available today but a LOT of fun.
The Hobie PE model was actually cutting edge when they came out. The first time I remember paddling out on one was in the summer of 1965. I had been riding a fairly generic early 60's 9'2" Con at the time and the PE was way more of an advance. It was my first exposure to a signature model surfboard that I hadn't seen prior. My only complaint was that I thought they were a little narrow for me. However, the PE model was an inspiration to other builders to come out with their own version of that clear 3 stringer look like the Harbour Trestle special, the G&S Mike Hynson model, Bing Takayama and numerous others. They all looked like clones or variations of the PE to me.