PhD Fin Reviews???

norcal57

Jan 17, 2014
Recently picked up a 9” for my 8’4” vBowls and have about 4 or 5 sessions on it. It definitely feels faster than the 8.5” vb fin I was previously running. Also better hold on the cutbacks but no big surprise there with the extra length. Not sure I like it better than the fin that was actually designed for the board. I’m still messing around with fin placement and may put it up f/s if I don’t sync with it. Would love to hear if other vBowls owners running the PhD and how they are approaching fin placement.
might be interested if f/s

WesCantDress

Mar 5, 2020
Long Beach, CA
PhD has a definite personality that might work for you. Loose and allows redirects with more ease than a 4a. Put em side by side and very similar. But overall less surface on the PhD, noticeably in the tip. I paid for it though in beach break. Mine doesn't seem to like touching the foam ball, slips out quickly when the tail lifts. Also steeper drops with a demanding bottom turn slip more than I like. Someone told me the 10" is the magic size? Mine's a 9" I think.

hullogfish

Dec 22, 2006
San Diego North
I had a bunch of people tell me that a 10 inch would be the perfect fit for my MPE wildcat, if anyone’s holding A 9.5 or 10 inch let me know.

ugoinright?

Sep 13, 2020
The OC Bubble
Recently picked up a 9” for my 8’4” vBowls and have about 4 or 5 sessions on it. It definitely feels faster than the 8.5” vb fin I was previously running. Also better hold on the cutbacks but no big surprise there with the extra length. Not sure I like it better than the fin that was actually designed for the board. I’m still messing around with fin placement and may put it up f/s if I don’t sync with it. Would love to hear if other vBowls owners running the PhD and how they are approaching fin placement.

Does the PhD flexes more than the v.Bowls? In faster waves, I like the immediate response of the v.Bowl fin. Thx

Confused

Mar 11, 2008
Here they are side by side. Note the layers in the volan. The PHD has most volume upfront of the fin near base, while the lovelace has thick part more in middle. PHD is like an airplane wing, which I think creates a larger area of negative pressure/lift towards the side you are turning which is the drive everyone talks about.
Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 9.09.11 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 9.09.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 9.09.43 AM.png
    210.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: