PhD Fin Reviews???

Curlz

Jun 26, 2020
VA, USA
Yes Marc shipped the phd with my vaquero. Why not get them both and mess around? GG 4A is pretty easy to get your hands on used, and looks like a pHd 10" just sold on my thread in 4 sale.

Yeah I saw that... he said he had a couple so thought I would see if he had another since True Ames is all out. I do have a 4a 9.5" already as that has been my tried and true, but curious on this PhD after coming across it.

JMJackFish

Jul 5, 2016
USA North Carolina
Side note on PhD - I rolled over a buddies Fineline Ant on a jetty drainer and the PhD stabbed me in the armpit. Tore my 4/3 for about 10". Ended up with nasty gash that bled like a champ. As Doug Marcaida would say - "it will cut".

Bonzourno

Sep 29, 2018
Capitola
Recently picked up a 9” for my 8’4” vBowls and have about 4 or 5 sessions on it. It definitely feels faster than the 8.5” vb fin I was previously running. Also better hold on the cutbacks but no big surprise there with the extra length. Not sure I like it better than the fin that was actually designed for the board. I’m still messing around with fin placement and may put it up f/s if I don’t sync with it. Would love to hear if other vBowls owners running the PhD and how they are approaching fin placement.

Yosh

Jan 31, 2019
El Segundo
Thick bulbous leading edge means a little more resistance and drag than a finely bladed fin, but gives you much more hold and drive when the waves have push or at higher speeds.
THIS+
9.5 on my 7'6" HG always felt solid on OH and/or DOH winter swells.
and 9.5 or 10 depends on your tail width and are you going to shove it all the way back or front? etc