Performance Longboard?

Tommy

Jun 25, 2022
Redondo Beach
I have a Takayama Beach Break... has more of the profile youre looking for... bit more rocker and pulled in
They pop up used quite a bit

Stellar. I have actually looked at this one a few times. Might be in the top 3 of choices for me to grab and see if it’s what I am looking for. Thx

Tommy

Jun 25, 2022
Redondo Beach
Chilly Willy, you just beat me to it!

I was going to say, why not go a slightly different direction with one of the incredibly talented shapers that SD has to offer? I've checked out a few of Jim's HPNR boards that a friend brought in, and they were super nicely foiled and balanced. Surfore and I missed a communication window last year or that's what I'd be riding right now.

The Bing High5 is also a neat board and super versatile. DT2s... I have a fun performancish shape by Robin Pradonovich (ex Rusty, etc) that I keep in SD for a daily driver when I'm back.

Any of those options will give you plenty of glide, but be able to break a line with ease to throw a decent roundhouse or a floater, or an off the top at will, along with messing around on the nose when the wave or your mood calls for it.

If it helps, do yourself a favor and talk to Jim and then go from there.

Enjoy!
Lots of solid board choices. Thx

Tommy

Jun 25, 2022
Redondo Beach
How about a Jim Phillips HPNR? Disclaimer: I've never ridden one but you can't go wrong with a Phillips. Could have sworn that he once said that this is the model that he personally rides, but don't quote me on that.

"The High Performance Noserider is a rockered and contoured longboard for more progressive/vertical surfing. The rails start out at 60/40 in the nose but very quickly transition to a 70/30 tucked edge all the way to a hard/release edge in the tail. A slightly blended yet defined concave runs about 24” under the nose to flat in the middle and then a double barrel concave/vee finishes off the tail. Don’t let the rocker or concave fool you into thinking this board sacrifices paddle-ability for surf-ability; this board paddles extremely well. Think of this board as high-flying surfing: torque-y bottom turns, pulling up into a rail grab in the barrel, fly out onto the nose then run back to crank another bottom turn into a floater."
Now that’s what I am talking about! Love the board description and definitely seems like what I am looking for. Jim makes insane boards. Solid recommendation and I’m going to check this Model out for sure.

Tommy

Jun 25, 2022
Redondo Beach
Pearson Arrow Josh Mohr model is a HPLB I've wanted to get my feet on for a bit.

Picked up an older 9'2 KG Stu Kenson twinzer shallow swallowtail HPLB couple years ago. Really fun board.
Stu makes insane boards. Need to check out the PA JM model. Thx

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
O

Oh man been looking at this Model for a little bit. Just grabbed the Vbowls a month ago! Not for me yet but haven’t been able to surf it in the right swell. Thinking I should have grabbed the FM instead. Thx
Fm is more high performance

Salty

May 1, 2010
USA California
The Bing Lovebird by Chris Del Moro was his and Calvani's answer to surfing high performance in longboard contests whilst still keeping it a single fin. I've ridden one and can attest that it's fast, smooth and can turn on a dime.