Paypal and Jamboards - A legitimate option to pay for a board

Discussion in 'Longboard Surf Buy/Sell/Trade' started by 306Bing, Jan 29, 2017.

1. 306Bing

306Bing Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    OCNJ
    I started this thread to help make paypal a better option for surfers not on this site that are selling boards on CL. I have found a couple sellers think the paypal option is a scam and then stop the conversation or don't reply. It would give us the option to send people to jamboards.com and this thread to help try and legitimize the process so they feel a little more comfortable. The longer it is on with positive comments the easier it'll be for us to do transactions this way. Post your success stories.

Post your stories. I haven't heard of the negatives, but put them in there too if you have them. If you pay for a board sight unseen and a jammer is picking up your board you may have an issue getting a refund if its not as described.

I haven't done it yet, but would like to know best process for those who have used it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Active Member

I bought a board in December from MD using Paypal. First time I ever purchased something that was used, and from a distance without traveling to put my eyes and hands on it first as well as exchange the funds. (i.e boats, dirtbikes, jetski, boards).

Naturally, I was a little skeptical about buying this way for the first time, and the seller was a little sketched in accepting Paypal. As with any transaction, communication is paramount. In situations like this, a little faith in humanity is necessary as well. My experience was positive and flawless. And, thanks to a fellow jammer, who was also a stranger to me at the time, it arrived in RI a couple days later exactly as advertised.

As I buyer, at least as agreed upon in my case, you're going to have to be prepared to absorb the Paypal fees on your end.

3. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    My $.02
    using paypal with members on this site has been flawless. The only snafu can be how the seller and buyer might differ in how they define terms like "excellent condition" et al.
    I also use paypal on a cycling forum and a camera forum as well as ebay. On the camera forum members like to point to an individuals feedback on ebay as the gold standard. I think this is great if the buyer/seller is on ebay. I have excellent feedback btw. YUGE!!! Gold Star. People love me ;)
    One bit of advice that maybe obvious but only became clear to me a few years ago is that when you you pay using the friends and family option you have no recourse for ebay legal services in the event that things go sideways so make sure when you chose this option you know the seller/buyer. Otherwise, work the 3% into the deal as an assurance.

Tenfooter and 306Bing like this.
  4. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    I have been using Paypal for years and is my preferred form of payment for all items purchased online. I paid for both of my Jim Phillips boards via Paypal. Very easy to use, both parties need to be signed up to Paypal, it is very secure and safe.

5. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    I went to use Paypal for a JB purchase but the fees ticked me off. The seller was a well respected JB'er so we went with the personal check route. There was a delay in the delivery (expected due to the distance) so that gave the seller time to make sure my check cashed. No worries but if the seller was anonymous, I would have eaten the PP fee for the protection. My .02

6. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    As an expat, I use it for near everything. ALWAYS with buying and selling used boards and gear. Never had a problem. It is weird when you run into someone in this day and age that does not use nor understand it.

7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    have used PayPal many times selling/purchasing gear in the US, Canada, Sweden and England, and have had only positive results with it. And always willing to pay the 3% surcharge as it ensures the seller gets paid, and provides the buyer with refund recourse if the purchased item was less then promised. And agree with Cuda on the Ebay ratings - those ratings are earned by ethical dealings.

8. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I've used Paypal for a few boards on here, sight unseen (in person). It has gone flawlessly each time. I think the key is to carefully inspect the pictures, be diligent to ask whatever questions you need to ask, and then have reasonable expectations. If you're the seller, you just have to be straight up and honest about everything and let the buyer make a fair decision.

I've used Paypal countless other times for other stuff that I've bought on Craigslist, usually talking the seller into shipping the item to me. It's kind of risky as a buyer, but it's sometimes the only way you'll find certain collectible items depending on what you collect. It's a calculated gamble, but it's mitigated by Paypal's buyer protection (see cuda's point above about buyer/seller). The key to these deals is being super open/honest, be quick to reply and pay, and cover their shipping and fees and add a little extra for their troubles -- after all, you're the one asking them to deal with the hassle of shipping something that was otherwise supposed to be a local sale.

9. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    PayPal works. But Venmo works better.

10. UncleKevin

UncleKevin Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA Florida
    +1 for Venmo. Even started using it for some business stuff.