Paul Gross on 4a’s ([email protected])

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
The only thick fins I have ever tried are the ‘glass in’ ABS polypropylene Yater template ones in so many longboards at the end of that era. I assume there is some advantage but what this entire discussion means is that like 99.9% of all surfers are using less optimal fins. Crazy huh?
A properly foiled thicker fin should maintain connected flow compared to a similar fin that is narrower. At some point the increased drag outweighs the resistance to separation. I rode self-foiled thick marine ply/glass-on fins for many years. When I built my first board with a fin box, the Brewer fin I bought was significantly thicker than the slot and all the thin fiberglass single fin slabs common at the time. There’s bound to be heaps of those old Brewer fins around. What were they, 1/2” thick or more?

Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
Yeah! The Brewer fins. The Brewer template is as iconic as the GG. And the panels that we were laying up in the back yards and alleys of HI in the late 60s to mid 70s WERE close to 1/2" thick. Crude foiling compared to what we see now with high quality, high dollar volon fins but what could you do when sometimes you did not have a vise or even a C-clamp. Ha. I have a 8" Brewer template feather fin that Jack Jensen made out of a thick panel. It's probably the thickest leading edge in my bag of forever fins in the bodega.

dubstar

Nov 9, 2019
Hynson Dol-Fin
Con ConTrol Products
etc. nice thick foil fins

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
Hynson dropped some acid and jumped on Cindy's back..
History might have taken a detour if Mike met Humphrey Humpback before hooking up with Cindy.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 22