Parting with boards

Freddibetts

May 7, 2015
USA New York
I buy and therefore sell a lot of boards, but I still can’t get over when parting with a board sometimes feels like the loss of a child. I sure wish I had the space and the money to keep them all. Anyone else get that feeling?

The first step is admitting you have a problem.
Its ok Rick, your in a safe space.
Thanks for sharing

Bighouse

Feb 21, 2012
East End, Long Island
I know the feeling well. Most recently a McCallum Twin Pin, Christenson Ocean Racer & Byzak Moontail.

That's when I was renovating our home and it was a strict one in one out policy - self enforced!

Macilious

Jun 15, 2010
I buy and therefore sell a lot of boards, but I still can’t get over when parting with a board sometimes feels like the loss of a child. I sure wish I had the space and the money to keep them all. Anyone else get that feeling?

Some advice my friend...

"Don't love anything that doesn't love you back!"

"if it fecks, flys or floats.... rent it"

In every case I have not adhered to these rule it has been costly. Jeeps, motorcycles, surfboards, women named Tammi... I'll stop there.

Patrick Riley

May 15, 2018
Jacksonville Beach
Currently struggling with this. I've started folders for all new boards and add all pics of board, surfing the board, they feel a lot like relationship albums. Next thing you know, I'm going to start scrapbooking. I have a problem, actually a bunch, but I guess I can admit it, and I've learned that's the first step.

Started asking buyers of boards I struggle with to give me first dibs on re-sale in case I realize it was more than just a fling. But in the end, better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.

Ride em hard and put em up wet!

andrew-

Apr 11, 2019
Ventura, CA

Not at all... feels great to sell a child to fund the next, better, more useful one! ;)

NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
I miss every board I sell. It's not worth selling any.

Edit: Thought about this a little more. For some reason I don't mind selling shortboards. I feel like they are easily replaceable. I do have duplicates of a few boards which makes no sense at all, but oh well. Boards I don't think I will find again are keepers even if I don't use them much.