Part of the plane that’s not needed

shapewright

Aug 6, 2006
USA California
I hate to be an alarmist, but when I awoke mid Atlantic this morning at 37,000 feet and lifted my window shape I saw this section of what looked like broken off conduit wedged in the ailerons.
Must have been something the plane did NOT need to remain in the air
05CB396F-EA62-439F-A176-9D1B9D123564.jpeg

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
In the Looney Tunes universe, it would be better to say nothing. It's like one of those Wile-E-Coyote moments where he runs off a cliff and is standing just fine in the air until he realizes that there's no ground under him and suddenly plummets.

dingpatch

Apr 2, 2014
Florida USA
So, many years ago, Mrs Dingpatch and I got on the American Eagle prop-job puddle jumper to get from Melbourne to Miami. I'm sitting on the right side, second seat back. An "insecure" looking older woman was sitting in front of me. I had been talking with the pilot at the gate. He gets seated and settled and starts to crank-up the engines. He looks back at me and asks if I think that the engine next to me sounds OK, does not sound right to him. I told him that it did not sound too bad and that it would probably be OK. He replies that "ya, does not sound that bad, probably won't be too bad to take off with". Of course we were joking with each other.

But, THE LOOK ON THAT LADIES FACE !!!!!

ridgeline

May 29, 2018
Long Beach, NY
My dad was a mechanic for TWA/American Airlines his whole career - asked him a similar question. Turns out there's a book outlining the threshold of things allowed to be 'broken' on a plane. Each broken item has a certain amount of hours the plane is allowed to fly under before its required to be grounded/fixed. Apparently this pipe is OK

Members online