Outer Banks - Best place to stay and what to see?

Wade In The Waves

Mar 23, 2012
USA Watkinsville, GA
My family and I are planning a quick trip up to the Outer Banks for Spring Break. We will probably start making more trips up there, as that is the best spot for surf within a few hours of us. Where are some good places to stay that are reasonable and nice? Also, what are some cool things to go see up there and do? This is a family trip, so I will squeeze some surf in, but mainly family time. I guess some surf spot recommendations up there will come in handy for when I can get away too. Thank you in advance.

Wade

slideright

Oct 19, 2006
stay in waves, close drive to a few spots.
Go to the lighthouse, drive on the beach, bonfires at night, fishing is exceptional as well.

mgarbutt

Apr 5, 2011
USA Delaware
The Outerbanks Motel in Buxton is a great place to stay. They have rooms like townhouses that are oceanfront. Great surf spot right out front and right around the corner from the lighthouse. Pretty much right in the middle of everything so you can head south to Frisco or North to Avon depending on swell. Been going there since I was a kid & definitely a favorite

SJ_hodad

Mar 30, 2010
USA New Jersey
I go there often
It really depends but I really like the wave in Frisco at the old pier for longboards
but yeah surf the lighthouse too, always fun, and the rodanthe pier is a good time too

Not sure how long you're going for, but some places do short rentals on houses. It might be more than a hotel but it's kind of fun too.

seawell

Jan 19, 2012
USA
My family makes the trip every year. We always like to stay in Nags Head for a night or two then head south. We stayed at the Blue Heron last year and it was pretty nice. Ocean front and not high dollar. While in Nags Head def check out Manteo (its a cool little artist town), Wright Bros monument, jockeys ridge and Outer Banks Brewing station (they have a cool backyard with play sets for the kids).
When we head south we stay at the Cape Hatteras Motel. The rooms are renovated and nice. Just makes sure you ask for ocean front. They have different sections. The ocean pretty much washes under the buildings and there is a nice break just south.
If you are ever down in Wilmington hit me up. I've been meaning to send you a message. Have fun

Shev

Jan 12, 2015
What Seawell and others said regarding things to do. There is also an Aquarium in Roanoke Island which is fun for younger kids. I stayed in Duck when we were there and there were some waved but probably not the best location. Check out VRBO as an option for renting a house or condo. There are a ton that are listed there and depending on when you are planning on going you can get a good deal.

One thing to note: If you are going in the Summer and planning on arriving on a weekend day, then prepare yourself for traffic that rivals southern California on its worst day. The last 20 miles getting into Kitty Hawk will take you 2.5 hours, no joke.

I don't think it is like this in the Spring but some local North Carolinians should be able to tell you.

Macilious

Jun 15, 2010
Surph wrote:
Apple Uglies at the Orange Blossom Bakery. Brew Thru. Mad Crabber. All quality Hatteras establishments.
DITTO APPLE UGLIES! Frisco Pier, Light house.
IMO house rentals are the way to go. In the past I have booked on Outer Beaches decent website that narrows is down for you.

http://www.outerbeaches.com/

Members online