Other hobbies in this time of illegal surfin

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cheyneskeezer, May 4, 2020.

1. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    You might need a bigger board soon. Lol

2. Killafornia

Killafornia Active Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I just finished this for my friend. 20200523_192358.jpg

DJR and NCJohn like this.
  3. thomas

thomas Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
    What are those?

4. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Don't forget about our favorite Que - swine :) !

5. Flip756

Flip756 Active Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    DJR likes this.
  6. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Great build on that ramp. I wish we had that figured out the concept of using a metal panel where the ramp meets the street back when I skated. Most of our quarters or launch ramps looked more like the first picture with an abrupt, jarring transition.

DJR and Patrick Riley like this.
  7. Russ

Russ New Member

May 22, 2020
    Maryland
    My 4-year old and I built balance boards (Indo Board style). She helped me mark the cuts and sand. A few weeks with it and she’s already balancing on her own. It’s a lot of fun and has to be good for surf fitness. We tried a few roller types, but I like the 6” high density foam roller best. I got it cheap on eBay for $7.

Driftwood and DJR like this.
  8. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Jacksonville Beach
    90B12625-1A8C-464B-948F-6D5DA7BA80D7.jpeg
    found this old pic of me at around age 13 w/ jarring transitions. We were ahead of our time though. All the wood was repurposed and up cycled from surrounding home sites.

DJR and JMJackFish like this.
  9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Sweet mini ramp! And what other materials would you use if not meager scraps and maybe sometimes "borrowed" wood? What did your neighbors say about all the clickity clack sounds coming from your driveway? I feel like extreme transitions were the #1 error of homemade ramps at the time. My first quarter was over ambitious and flat out impossible to ride. For our second ramp, a small launch ramp, we traced out an outline that would have launched us straight up into outer space. I think it was my dad who pointed out that it should be a lot more gradual if we wanted to avoid a trip to the hospital. He was right and we rode the hell out of that faithful little ramp.

Launch.jpg

By the way, my all time favorite thing is when half pipes are in the woods. There was a very impressive almost-vert half pipe in the woods behind my buddy's house, built by "the big kids". They'd let us watch their skate jams sometimes, and other times fling their boards at us until we left. This pic is from a day when no one was there. I was only barely learning to skate at the time, so I'm a full on poser in this shot holding my buddy's beat up McGill.

SalHalfPipe.jpg

Patrick Riley and JMJackFish like this.
  10. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Love the mini Method air! The rail bones are great! I had a blue launch ramp with the Friendly's restaurant logo painted on it. My crew worked there and enjoyed plenty of patty melts and shakes when not Sk8 or Die'n.

Chilly Willy likes this.