Other hobbies in this time of illegal surfin

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cheyneskeezer, May 4, 2020.

1. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    Got a new Carver for my 66th birthday and I’m loving it. My ankles sure feel it after riding it for awhile, but it’s getting better. Only one bloody incident so far, so all is good.

2. Flip756

Flip756 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Sunday morning we found a few Spanish. Fried em Sunday night for tacos. Less then 10 hours from ocean to belly, soo good.

Attached Files:

billypilgrim, DJR and WhiteRussian like this.
  3. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Hiking, fishing and daily lap swimming at the "Y". Unfortunately, the "Y" has been closed for the last two months and my lake has had a blue-green algae bloom resulting in Cyanic Bacteria. No muy Bueno. :>(

4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I had the same thought! It looks kind of fun in my mind, at least something to try someday. Maybe Jamboards is also the Gidget of fly fishing.

5. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I've had a major urge to rekindle my skate-rat roots and hit up some of the nice little municipal skateboard parks that are pretty much everywhere. I always thought the key would be to go during the day when all the kids are in school. Not possible these days, and I think most parks are closed anyway. I've always been more into half pipes than street ramps... one of these days I'll take the plunge on some new gear and do it. Once school is finally back in session, that is.

6. OCSURFER32

OCSURFER32 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    West Palm Beach
    Careful on that Skate Chilly !! Took out an old sims years ago just pumping down the street when it swung left and pitched me face sliding the asphalt

Two wheeling it every now and then Lately E0A0A324-14EF-4A6A-95C1-AE5C75D344F4.png

pintail likes this.
  7. dsquare

dsquare Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    Which lake is that? Back in the late 80's early 90's when the first blue-green algae blooms were shutting down lakes I worked as a lifeguard for the Army at American Lake. Had to do regular samples and send them to the county health department where my old man would give the thumbs up or thumbs down. Pretty soon we figured it was easier for me to just call him and tell him how many green dots I could see.

8. dsquare

dsquare Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    In Washington I fished for salmon, steelhead, trout, surf perch (best fish taco fish). I like fly fishing, but found that spinning and baitcasting set-ups were more effective. Every July 1 (opening day of Chambers Creek) for a few years my buddy and I would walk the creek from the access point all the way to the sound. He fly-fished and I used an ultra-light spin set up with small bee pattern rooster tails or silver kastmaster (single hook no barb). 2 or 4 pound test. I caught and released 25 one trip. My buddy did 16 and he was on a fly set-up. We leap-frogged each other to make sure we shared water fairly. I gave him first dibs at pools with headroom (casting space) and I got the hard to access waters.

I also had a boat (3 actually) for open water fishing on the sound. We would troll the areas around Tacoma or up on the straight. One evening we hooked into a monster 40-50+ king and got it netted, but it had an adipose fin and went back into the water. We were 20 minutes in on day 1 so we figured we would catch more.... nope. My brother has the picture, we couldn't get it fully into the net. I went back the next year and took an in-law from the south. The huge rollers coming in at short period freaked him out in our 14 foot boat (me too, but I played it cool). The next day it was lake flat. We fished away from the idiots and brought cookie-cutter jacks (young kings that all look the same) in and pinks all day long. We got tired of bringing up the down-riggers. I left an open spot on our cards for a big king. Moved inside near the caves and my brother in-law nailed a good one. Took him a while but he brought it in. At the docks he took it up to the cleaning station. It was the only over 10 pound fish anyone saw, and most boats said they were lucky to catch a single card limit. We were full up in pinks and kings. My brother in-law thinks I am a fishing master.

upload_2020-5-13_9-49-43.png

9. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Ward