Other hobbies in this time of illegal surfin

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cheyneskeezer, May 4, 2020.

1. cheyneskeezer

cheyneskeezer Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA
    Surfings always been my number one.... but I’ve always had a tendency to get into something all or nothing on the side. I’d say number 2 is mtbing and I do it fairly often least I used to now seeing that it is a good release when I can’t surf.

after growing up fishing salt water every weekend with my dad I took a long break from it. A recent trip to June lake got me really interested in trout fishing which I woke up early before my mtb rides and fished a day or two and caught some trout.

For me I always get way way into something I want to do maybe because I work so much I have plenty of time to look up research find all the cool American made stuff and and fixate. I think fly fishing is my next venture to fully tweak out on and go down worm holes of lofty dreams and not so realistic trips. You know the perfect ones where you find perfect weather, in this case have a camp fire next to a secluded stream and catch fish after fish with your wife smiling and asking how you want it prepared and your 4 year old tieing his own lures and not complaining once :).

needless man fly fishing has so many cool well crafted items... right up my alley. Anyone here fly fish

2. DJR

DJR Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    Am a fly fisherman taking a break for a bit
    Sold almost all of it to get back to basics (same thing as happens with the quiver)
    It is a wonderfully meditative activity
    Salt or fresh no matter
    Get a good vise and learn to tie

I don’t do that nearly as much as I used too. So much has changed in life ...
    never underestimate the bluegill on a light tippet - Lefty Kreh (immortal among men) said if tarpon fought like a bluegill then no one would ever catch one
    DM me with your address while we are at it

Flip756 and cheyneskeezer like this.
  3. noparking

noparking Active Member

Sep 26, 2013
    The Tetons
    I've done a decent amount of fly fishing over the years while living in Oregon. My brother taught me to fly fish - envision some sort of A River Runs Though It. I have now moved to Jackson, Wyoming for work and I'll be out here for a while longer before I head back to the NW for a few months. I was out a few weeks ago fishing before the runoff started, so I'll have to wait about a months before the levels drop-off again before I can fish without having to do much of a drive. It'll be nice being out here and having my brother teach me more about fishing oner the coming months because there is a lot more I can learn.

DJR, Surfnfish and cheyneskeezer like this.
  4. cheyneskeezer

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA
    Fly fishing just seems more appealing to my ocd mind and constant need to be challenged. Plus the assortment of quality crafted reels are amazing

DJR likes this.
  5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    have been fly fishing thoughout the NW for decades, from hike in destinations to multi day big river floats, owned drift boats for a couple of decades until it got too hard on the shoulders. We have a mountain cabin just minutes from the Deschutes river and some great 'big trout' lakes. IMG_20190105_090113_084.jpg 20180302_161848.jpg 20180107_093803.jpg king.jpg IMG_20140715_201910.jpg just minutes from the Deschutes river and some great 'big trout' lakes.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Jaimo, sightpoint, dingdong and 7 others like this.
  6. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    Wyoming and Montana two of our fave fly fishing destinations over the decades...The Yellowstone River, The Firehole, The Snake, The Madison The Gallatin..gorgeous country, amazing fly fishing

Artz and noparking like this.
  7. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    if this forum has taught me anything collectively from all of the random threads and comments, its that getting old sucks, but beats the alternative

Makawaosurfer93 and glidewaves like this.
  8. Justino

Justino Active Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Mountain biking has always been my 2nd choice. Our house is right next to some of the best riding in this area. Thankfully our trails have been open this whole time, so I guess I am lucky in that regard. Still miss the freedom to surf wherever and whenever. Hopefully soon, the logs have been gathering dust.

DJR likes this.
  9. Planktom

Planktom Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Skateboarding is on a par with surfing for me.

Hard to compare the feeling of a really flowing session with a few friends all on form and pushing one another, but at close to 46, it is getting hard for me physically these days... all those breaks and repeated hippers may have healed ok at the time, but they are coming back to haunt me now, with various spots of arthritis here and there and regular physio to keep things moving as best as possible. If I just look at my right elbow the wrong way nowadays, it blows up like a pufferfish.

Whilst I can happily surf alone, and often do, owing to the times that I surf and little spots that I can get to from work, I quickly tire of skating alone and find I get energized from a crew. I guess you get a chance to get your breath back more easily when there's a few of you skating too.

Just getting out into nature, walking or running or on the bike is also a good way to recharge for me, especially with a young family, but there is something about doing something that you've invested a lifetime or so to learn - a difficult thing, if we are looking at surfing and skating - that is inherently satisfying and different, I would say.

I am almost certain that I would love fishing, but from what I can see from friends who fish, it's a dangerous, addictive and slippery slope to oblivion that needs to be avoided at all costs haha

DJR and cheyneskeezer like this.
  10. cheyneskeezer

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA
    nice just road el moro yesterday morning at sun up! I usually find surfing overtakes my mtb with the time slots I have available but now I’m open if work doesn’t prevail