Ordering a Board from Kirk Putnam (Liddle)

dr flavors

Jul 21, 2019
ca

ii dont get it. marc is supposedly slammed with a massive backlog of customs and 6-8 mo wait time. how does he have time unless the LD orders are miniscule?

and i am pretty certain scott and kirk were machine cutting off files from the original scans. does marc then just scrub and tune? or do we get 100% handshaped LD's?

FalseDawn

Dec 21, 2015
Aquidneck Island Rhode Island
ii dont get it. marc is supposedly slammed with a massive backlog of customs and 6-8 mo wait time. how does he have time unless the LD orders are miniscule?

and i am pretty certain scott and kirk were machine cutting off files from the original scans. does marc then just scrub and tune? or do we get 100% handshaped LD's?
My thoughts as well when I saw that post this a.m.
And since MA's cost of labor and in turn board prices increased for 2021, now that he will be involved does that mean that the cost of Liddle Designs will see an increase as well?

dr flavors

Jul 21, 2019
ca
My thoughts as well when I saw that post this a.m.
And since MA's cost of labor and in turn board prices increased for 2021, now that he will be involved does that mean that the cost of Liddle Designs will see an increase as well?

i dont know if marcs labor costs increased so much as he decided it was time to put his work into the correct price tier for who he is and what his boards represent

when you see svbodas halls elmores whodats furrows arenals et als in mollusk for the same money as andreinis, you know something is out of whack

Bryce

Nov 6, 2017
_
I have some insight into part of this. I went down to Aquatech to meet Marc and pick up a custom board last April maybe? This was when Scott was first sick in the beginning of COVID. Marc had come down to deliver boards to SoCal and help Scott and Kirk out by shaping some Liddle Designs. He was down there for a week to help out and he was hand shaping those Liddle Design boards. I joked with him at the time that those were the best batch of Liddle Designs and no one would even know!

Not sure if Marc would do that full time if he takes over the Liddle Designs construction. Yes, Scott would just finish off the machine shaped board and Kirk would handle the business and handling logistics. Like I said before, I have heard Pat Ryan is being considered to take over the long term Liddle Designs scrubbing. Maybe Marc is just helping out right now until something is figured out.

Bryce

Nov 6, 2017
_
Marc scrubbing Liddle blanks hasn’t changed the price. And IMO he made the price bump for the factory guys, not himself. He has a full time job. If the price goes up it’s likely because Aquatech is following suit to pay their guys a living wage.
Michael is right, Marc only raised his prices because he wanted to stay loyal to the Santa Cruz glass shop. The glass shop raised their glassing prices and Marc could have started using a different shop, but chose to stick with them and raise his board prices. Marc isn't making any more money from his boards than he was before.

FalseDawn

Dec 21, 2015
Aquidneck Island Rhode Island
Marc scrubbing Liddle blanks hasn’t changed the price. And IMO he made the price bump for the factory guys, not himself. He has a full time job. If the price goes up it’s likely because Aquatech is following suit to pay their guys a living wage.
I'm not criticizing Marc's decision with my comment and simply asking a question.

Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
Ryan would be a logical choice as he's right down the street. Marc is too far away (shipping milled blanks north to have him finish them and returned to HB for glassing would just add more cost.) Marc does not need more work, believe me.
I agree with all on this page.

dr flavors

Jul 21, 2019
ca
glass shops dont survive on marc's 4-5 boards a week output and while marc does have other income streams and im sure the guys get a little bump for lam and sand on his boards, its not changing labors reality

if you want to believe its about living wages be my guest, heard skips guys eat really well