O'Neill Hyperfreak vs Psychotech

Gulfzer5

Nov 2, 2020
Louisiana
I feel like this is worth mentioning. I have the HEAT. It's kind of a combo of both and mid range in pricing. Arms and shoulders are the same as Hyperfreak and the rest of the suit is TB3. They only come in back zip with smoothie panels back and chest. I really love the suit. Very warm and flexible. Easy on and off. My only complaint is the zipper flushes a little bit. If it had an interior panel with the weep holes at the bottom, that would be awesome.

Stan Vinokur

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
Where'd you find a deal on one? Post a link!
So backcountry has a 15% off coupon for new signups also if you use Rakuten (cashback app for popular online stores - all you have to do is use their referral link) or Acorns(for like saving/investing) backcountry gives you 4% cashback. With that said they only had the psychotech and exactly in my size - MS. Before taxes it was about 15$ more than retail of hyperfreak.

Zufeldt

Apr 6, 2021
Los Angeles
I’d been wearing a regular no frills O’Neill Epic back zip for years and nothing else before or since For all my needs. At least until now. I’d never felt there would be much margin/utility benefit to spend an additional $100 for upgrading, but after years of stuck zippers and watching my cadre of suits aging along, I bought a Hyper spring suit and tried it out today. Easy on easy off and with a chest zip, no parking lot calisthenics. Fully comfortable in and out of the water. I’ll be replacing out the old and worn ones with the Hyper series as time goes by. I don’t suppose it would have hurt to catch on to this sooner, but the future upgrade I now know will be worth it, after all, so long as the durability factor does not suffer. As for going Psycho, I doubt I’d have a need, but there may be those who do, and in weighing the differences between the two, might consider a trial of the other to know for sure, if such a leap, more than mine, is justified.

RobG814

Apr 27, 2020
North Carolina
I have had a very different experience with O’Neill suits. I have had two Psychos and the seams have been terrible on both. The suits are very comfy and flexible but the seam weld stuff that they use cracks and flakes off all over. I do not think the seam glue can keep up with how much the neoprene stretches and it causes the seams to give out.

O'Neill replaced the first one within a few months but the replacement was no better. After about a year all of the seams are cracked and flaking off with countless little holes where the seams meet. Since they are all cracked on the inside of the suit, they pinch and irritate my skin like crazy.

This has been the least durable wetsuit I have ever had and will be my last O’Neill. Most other suits I have had (RipCurl & Xcel) last about 3-5 years before they need to be replaced.

I got a new RipCurl Flashbomb this season and it is by far the best suit I have ever had. Plus the inside dries out in about an hour with the flash lining they use.

Stan Vinokur

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
Oh bummer! Uh yea
I have had a very different experience with O’Neill suits. I have had two Psychos and the seams have been terrible on both. The suits are very comfy and flexible but the seam weld stuff that they use cracks and flakes off all over. I do not think the seam glue can keep up with how much the neoprene stretches and it causes the seams to give out.

O'Neill replaced the first one within a few months but the replacement was no better. After about a year all of the seams are cracked and flaking off with countless little holes where the seams meet. Since they are all cracked on the inside of the suit, they pinch and irritate my skin like crazy.

This has been the least durable wetsuit I have ever had and will be my last O’Neill. Most other suits I have had (RipCurl & Xcel) last about 3-5 years before they need to be replaced.

I got a new RipCurl Flashbomb this season and it is by far the best suit I have ever had. Plus the inside dries out in about an hour with the flash lining they use.
Oh bummer yea no good. I had excels before. My first drylock was ok except the top flap that goes around the neck disintegrated. Another hooded drylock held up well but got really leaky.... sent it for warranty repairs they fixed everything but the leaks. I had the hooded comp also held up well except seams are leaky.... the hyperfreak though from the outside looks awful - and even has holes in the elbow is still warmer than all the leaky excels.

One thing that bums me out is how the warranty gets voided if you try to do repairs on your suit. So you have to balance that.

My buddy raved about flashbomb the first 2 weeks he got it but now 6 months later he said it's just as leaky as other suits‍

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
O'Neill had a big problem with their fluid welded seams years ago with cracking and peeling. I sent countless suits to them for warranty work, and they honored their warranty very well. They’ve since changed their process, and as far as I know it’s a thing of the past.
Not sure the age of the suits you experienced the problem with, but hopefully not one manufactured within the last couple of years.

RobG814

Apr 27, 2020
North Carolina
That is good to hear. I believe mine was from 2017 or 2018 and yes they did well to honor the warranty which was appreciated. Maybe I will give them another try now that they have sorted that out.

Stan, that’s a bummer to hear about the Flashbomb. Mine is a 4/3 so I wore it all winter (about 4 months or so) and it was great. We will see how it holds up next year!