O'Neill Hyperfreak vs Psychotech

Stan Vinokur

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
Hi wanted to see what people's experience has been with the o'neill psycho tech and whether it might be worth the $100+ premium over the hyperfreak.
I currenly have a 5/4 hyperfreak which I'm very satisfied with - its super flexible and seams held up pretty well for a year and 4 months. Its main drawback is that the technobutter is super soft and it cuts easier than any suit I've owned and the neoprene material around the elbows is starting to disintegrate. I guess the only way they psychotech would be worth it for me is if its a decent bit more durable.

Thanks for ya'll input.

Last edited:

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
the psychotech is baller. If you have the funds... yolo
Picked up one of the 5.5/4's this winter and it is by far the most comfortable, most flexible and easiest on/off suit of all the gucci brands I've worn. Isurus, Pata, Drylock et al
I can't yet speak to the durability.
No experience with the other O'Neill

nitsuj

Oct 3, 2005
Psychotech is the best wetsuit I've ever owned, and 2nd wouldn't even be a close 2nd. If I recall right the really major difference between the Hyper and Psycho is the smoothskin chest/back, which I opted for to help with any wind chill. That said I've never used a Hyperfreak so couldn't compare the two, but would like to pick up one if they run their usual Memorial Weekend sale as a summer suit.

NCJohn

Oct 27, 2015
Wilmington, NC
I have the hyperfreak and it is the most flexible suit I've ever owned. I have 2 of the 4/3s and 2 of the 3/2s bc so I can rotate. I've had the 4/3s for 2 seasons and probably 20 sessions in each and they are still showing some wear. I don't think they are going to last as long as my xcels did. But for me flexibility is priority. I highly recommend them.

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
Sold them for years.
Psychofreak top of the line. Fluid welded seams in and out without stitching
Psychotech, same as the Psychotech but fluid welded seams exterior with blind stitching.
Hyperfreak, competition suit. lighter and more flexible then either of the Psycho's. No fluid welded seams, blind stitched. Not nearly as durable as the Psycho's.
I personally don’t need the extra warmth of the Psycho's and really like the extra flexibility and weight of the Hyperfreak. if I need extra warmth, I’ll go to a 4/3 Hyperfreak which I feel is more flexible then a 3/2 Psycho. I’ve got a 4/3 Psychofreak I got a few years ago, that I absolutely hate getting in and out of. I’ve only worn it about five times and spent $499 on it, that’s how much more I like the Hyperfreak over it.

Last edited:

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
Hyperfreak feels like you're wearing pajamas. Unbelievable.

That being said, I already blew out my 5/4 after 3 months of use - but O'neil promptly (sort-of) repaired it without any headaches.

I may go with the psychotech in the future.... and jeez who names these things.

thomas

Nov 22, 2016
San Diego
Sold them for years.
Psychofreak top of the line. Fluid welded seams in and out without stitching
Psychotech, same as the Psychotech but fluid welded seams exterior with blind stitching.
Hyperfreak, competition suit. lighter and more flexible then either of the Psycho's. No fluid welded seams, blind stitched. Not nearly as durable as the Psycho's.
I personally don’t need the extra warmth of the Psycho's and really like the extra flexibility and weight of the Hyperfreak. if I need extra warmth, I’ll go to a 4/3 Hyperfreak which I feel is more flexible then a 3/2 Psycho. I’ve got a 4/3 Psychofreak I got a few years ago, that I absolutely hate getting in and out of. I’ve only worn it about five times and spent $499 on it, that’s how much more I like the Hyperfreak over it.
Do you have the zipless? I've only had back zips and am hesitant on chest or zip less suits...