One for the road, or, reflections of the porcine variety

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Driftwood, May 10, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Long story short, I think this one’s a keeper.

Hopefully I’ll have some better photos for you when the weather clears, but to get things started here is a balsa pig that I just finished up. The template is very heavily inspired by a wreck of a Joe Quigg that I have here, and the fin template is a direct copy.

Wide point aft, rails go from 50/50 to nearly 60/40 and then back to 50/50, just like on the original. I did deviate from the thumb tail of the original and continued the rail curve into a wide pintail… just a personal preference. Fin is set about an inch off the tail, like on the original. Very slight belly that gets a touch more pronounced in the tail section.

It was fascinating to see how much that two inch tail extension changed the tail width at 12”, from a very modern sounding 14.5” to a very piggy sounding 16.5”. I think it was Jim who once said that it’s more about the curve and less about the numbers.

I did glass with epoxy as I just can’t work with polyester anymore. It took a pretty nice polish, which may show up in a photo if the sun ever comes out again.

This one won’t see the water for a little while, but it’s the first board I’ve built in an age and is sort of my dream board from when I was a grommet.

IMG_20190510_151931.jpg
    IMG_20190510_151648.jpg

DJR, Surfnfish, dingpatch and 10 others like this.
  2. Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    I just saw how bad these photos really are... maybe tomorrow there will be a window to improve them a bit. I'll try and add a rocker shot in the mix.

3. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
  4. m8r

m8r Active Member

Apr 8, 2014
    NC
    Gorgeous Driftwood!
    Congratulations

DJR likes this.
  5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Bravo!!! Epoxy is an excellent choice in my opinion superior in many ways. Hoping it gets sunny!

6. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    D-wood...
    That is righteous...

7. Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Thanks for the nice comments, gentlemen. Still raining here, but maybe later today or tomorrow we'll get some sun... in the meantime, here's a rocker shot from yesterday . IMG_20190510_151712.jpg

DJR, Dawnpatrol and russneversleeps like this.
  8. Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Okay, sorry for the barrage, but I'm really stoked on this board. And we finally got a bit of late evening sunlight. Still not the greatest photos, but getting closer.
    This will give you an idea of the rubout. Originally, I was just going to clean up the tapelines on the rails and leave it with an untouched gloss like they did in the fifties, but then I thought what the heck...
    IMG_20190511_194737.jpg

DJR and Dawnpatrol like this.
  9. Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    I wanted to do something a little different for the logo, so I had a brass plaque engraved - I would have really dug on bronze but I was in a bit of a hurry and no one worked with bronze locally. The inletting isn't perfect, but I like the overall effect. Funny, but despite the poor weather we've had lately this is probably the most bubble-free balsa lamination I've ever done, maybe a couple of tiny bubbles in the whole board even though I didn't do a fill coat as I usually do. I think that laminating carefully on a falling temp had the board sucking rather than expelling air.

I'll try and get a good fin shot to wrap things up tomorrow. I didn't have any wood that really stoked me out in a decent size, so I shaped the fin in balsa and then laminated a couple of nice pieces of mahogany in a bookend fashion. Kind of a t-band fin, if you will. Since the bead turned out nice and clear, you can see it from the right angles, turned out pretty cool.

IMG_20190511_194952.jpg

DJR and Dawnpatrol like this.