On the Edge of a Dream

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by michael, Jul 8, 2019.

1. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Anyone here spring for the DVD or catch a screening? Reviews or opinions

2. davesburgers

davesburgers Active Member

Sep 4, 2015
    USA New York
    a friend of mine bought it, it was interesting. really made me want to try them out. greenoughs tinkering on fins was cool to see too

michael likes this.
  3. Oldmanparker

Oldmanparker New Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I really enjoyed it. Totally unique. Really technical. A lot of work
    Went into making it. Support the arts.

DJR, sonOsea, michael and 1 other person like this.
  4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    A buddy bought it and loaned it to me. Very interesting insight into the creation of the edge board. Some of the design concepts were hard to grasp, other explanations I got right away. I definitely could see how it applied to high speeds and chop encountered during wind surfing. For me it was more difficult to translate that to paddle-in surfing. Seeing the photos of the different boards and the explanation of their development helped me picture how and why they rode a certain way. Overall pretty inspiring.

Artz and michael like this.
  5. sonOsea

sonOsea Active Member

Apr 6, 2010
    USA
    Went to the film in Sausalito.

Ellis and Andrew were both there with half a dozen boards they used in the four years of development they documented in the film. It was very cool to be able to pick up these boards and study them while some of the local chargers and shapers asked numerous questions. Ellis was incredibly insightful and had a very easygoing way of explaining the many lessons and aha moments they encountered while working with GG on this.

Andrew performed before the film with some guitar and song and had a few things to say about the making of the film. Some quite comical.

As for the film, like others have said it's actually quite technical at times but does a great job of explaining the Greenough edge concept and shows very well whats going on between board and water. The feelings and feedback expressed by the two of them made sense with what is seen in the film. Unfortunately for those of us there, the picture quality was very poor from being projected onto a low wall and some of it I couldn't even see from my seat. The production was typical of Kidman and had good flow with music/surfing, quality narration and stayed on the point of subject.
    It's definitely worth a look if you have access to it and are at all interested in the edge concept.

I've tried to order it from the web page twice now but my purchase has been denied each time. I take this to mean it has sold out.
    Good for them.

I'm stoked from my experience!

6. DJR

DJR Active Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    And the book is pretty kick ass too

7. sonOsea

sonOsea Active Member

Apr 6, 2010
    USA
    Good to hear that...

Got a great lead on the book and dvd from a forum member last night. Thank you!
    Made the the purchase through Thalia Surf .
    Got an e mail from Ellis this morning apologizing for the ordering issues and the late response. He confirmed they are still for sale direct from them for those inclined. https://ontheedgeofadream.org/

DJR likes this.