ON-GOING SHIPPING UPDATES 2022

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
SHIPPING SURFBOARDS STILL REMAINS A CHALLENGE!
AMTRAK EXPRESS SHIPPING is still suspended. I keep praying & checking to no avail.

GREYHOUND: No luck in the SB/Goleta area. A 100 mile search had available shipping down in San Fernando Valley.

FED EX representative called me trying to court me back to them. Their representative sent info over to update my online quoting & told me they would give me 70% discount
based on the volume I once did for them. * I ran a quote and a 6 ft. custom to Soquel = $219.15

Daylight Transport Quote for same board = $241.63.

Leon Fitchat Action Sports Express would have been $80 to a shop in Santa Cruz but he was full & didn't even have room for his own. board!

Starting to wonder if I could take it to the SB Airport & have them drop it in San Jose or Monterey Airport. If you don't ask, you don't get.

More later.

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Last edited:

RobG814

Apr 27, 2020
North Carolina
With FedEx and UPS, if you can keep the box size under 72” long the rates are pretty reasonable. So when you factor in packing material I would say boards 5’10” and under can usually fit. Anything over that length gets hit with an oversize charge. I recently shipped a 5’4” in a 68” box across the country for about $75.

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Don't you have to be a TSA "known shipper" to put it on a plane?
I haven't a clue.... traveling we always walked thru w/automatic TSA clearance or whatnot as retired flight crew. The wife had 70% shipping with Fed Ex since the 60's or 70's but we never really used it.
The size limitation is a joke these days......... it used to be the 165" girth rule which was 1x Length + 2x Width + 2x Height or Depth....... that meant a single shipping box that was 24" wide by 6" high left 105" left in length.
So you could realistically pack an 8'6" (102") into the box w/padded ends.

EDIT: I just googled lengths/dims for Fed Ex & they must have changed the rule back. For Ground or Home Delivery the 165" Giirth & the max length allowed went back to 108" from 96". That doesn't mean you can ship a 9 ft board as the girth rule 2xW + 2xH still applies....... not unless you got one skinny ass longboard.

Last edited:

kpd73

May 8, 2013
USA Rhode Island
Me at Fed Ex ground after weigh in for a 6'6

shipping.jpg

Also me

RIPAmtrak.jpg

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
I told Amtrak Santa Barbara I will be sitting outside on a Hunger Strike until they cancel the suspension......... I gave my best hurt puppy dog eyes to the guy that told me his wife's uncle is former Hawaiian great, Kimo Hollinger.

garagefull

Feb 22, 2004
Santa Cruz
A little bit about the Known Shipper program that I found online.

"Known shippers have access to one major advantage: access to additional airplanes and routes.

Shippers who are not in the Known Shipper Management System (KSMS) are solely allowed to ship on cargo-only aircraft. However, once approved by TSA, known shippers are able to move goods via both cargo-only aircraft and passenger aircraft.

How Can I Become a Known Shipper?​

Here’s where things get a little tricky. First of all, no one but TSA knows the exact requirements for approval to become a known shipper. They keep their vetting process confidential to maintain the integrity of the program.

Additionally, there’s no “official” way to apply directly through TSA.

So your best path to becoming a known shipper is to work with an experienced freight forwarder. They can submit your profile directly to TSA for approval.

Once you are entered for consideration in the database, TSA may ask for additional information. They may require a site inspection. You may also be asked to submit documents such as historical shipping records and other business information."

So basically, there is no way one of us is going to get a board shipped by air. TSA is not going to waste time inspecting your house so that you can ship a couple boards per year. Though it might make sense for a business like Bruce Fowler's.

Members online