Old Mike Hynson Board

VTALongboarder

Mar 25, 2021
Ventura, CA
Hollingsworth chills with Hy all the time now given the licensee relationship. maybe reach out to Craig and he can chat with Hy about it the next time they're in the shop together. Craig is SUPER SUPER responsive over social media.
Craig responded very quickly, however, Mike also responded. I have emailed Mike the pictures and will let everyone know what he says when he responds.

JMAC

Feb 10, 2019
Northern Santa Barbara County
I was going to offer him a few hundred bucks, I am pretty sure he would sell it to me for $200-$300. Is that terrible of me?
Not for the rest of us to decide what's right or wrong. If he's stoked getting a few hundred bucks for it and you're happy to pay that price then everybody wins.

I once purchased a Pat Curren surfboard from some guys that paid $80 for it at a swap meet in Fresno...I paid considerably more for it when I gave them an offer they couldn't refuse. At the time was probably on the higher end of what it should go for but I had a hunch. Hunch was confirmed a couple years ago when I got to show it to Pat that it was a personal rider from 62/63

davey

Jun 9, 2007
Australia
I use to have one. It was a 9'8" version. I was out checking the surf right around dark back in the mid 1970's and noticed this surfboard lying on the beach. Apparently, a bunch of young kids drug it down to the beach and were too lazy to drag it home wherever that was so I picked it up and threw it the back of my station wagon. It was not near in the condition of yours, but it only required minimal repairs to get it sea worthy and I kept it for a while, but gave it to a buddy who was looking for an old long board. I already had a few boards myself and didn't really need another one.
So you pinched it

NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
I was going to offer him a few hundred bucks, I am pretty sure he would sell it to me for $200-$300. Is that terrible of me?
Its only terrible if you haggle with him or if he really needs the money. If I ever get a "deal" on a board, I just pay their asking price, tell them thank you and head home. On occasion, I've paid a little over ask. With old boards I always ask where they got it after I bought them to learn a bit of history. 2 recent boards have been found in the trash before I bought them so I didn't feel bad paying under market value.

I think you can throw him a few extra bucks if he needs it. If he needs the money for rent, help him get the board into one of the surf auctions and see what it brings. It will bring you more stoke than hanging a wood board on your wall.

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
Pinched it? Finding stuff abandoned on the beach is hardly pinching something. Otherwise, beaches in Southern California would look like the city dump. Nobody ever came back around looking for it so it was finders keepers.;)
Whoa!

VTALongboarder

Mar 25, 2021
Ventura, CA
If you flip it, yes, in my opinion. If you intend to keep it, cool, nice score. But double or triple your offer.
Thank you, I appreciate your point of view. Depending on if I plan to keep or sell, I will base my offer accordingly. Wood boards are not generally what I am looking for, hence why I put the pictures up here to get some opinions...