OIL ON THE BEACH

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by deepsouth, Jun 1, 2010.

1. deepsouth

deepsouth New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA
    Oil is now washing up on Mississippi's barrier islands. It has been hitting Alabama and Florida beaches for about a week or so. And it keeps on gushing. :X

2. dewey

dewey Member

Feb 16, 2004
    St George, Ut
    SMUKES wrote:
    Still not funny Smukes read deepsouths post after your last post.

dewey

Oh and no I don't work for BP.

3. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/1963592

The sketch was clearly shining a big bright light on British Petroleum's ineptitude and was to me... to me, FUNNY. That's what comedy is supposed to do guys. By exclaiming "that's not funny" you're really saying, " you have no right to get involved in such serious matters with your pithy little clips." I call bullshit. Further, your statements imply an earnestness on your part that I do not share and again, I call bullshit.

4. deepsouth

deepsouth New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA
    I just watched the video. It didn't make fun of dead wildlife or a destroyed environment or people who are losing their livelihood. It made fun of the idiots who didn't have a plan and couldn't formulate one. I don't know if we need that video to show us how stupid and insensitive the people responsible are; that's pretty obvious to anyone who reads the paper or watches the news. I would give Smukes a pass on this one.

5. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Smukes - no issue with your posting this whatsoever, humor is in the eye of the beholder. I would depart from your analysis in that I saw this as a statement (albeit unintended) on the handling of the situation by all "official" parties involved, not just BP. Biggest cluster F I've seen, and I've seen lots of them over the years. I fear the long term effects of this will make Katrina look like a summer breeze in comparison.

6. Roy Stewart

Roy Stewart Active Member

Oct 1, 2004
    New Zealand
    There's evidence which suggests that it was done deliberately and that a big bank was involved as well.

The bilderberg group is chock full of BP people, all these big businesses and the government are the same group, and they all knew that it was going to happen, as they planned it.

7. deepsouth

deepsouth New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA
    Roy, I respectfully disagree with you on that. First, the people who actually took the physical action that caused the explosion died as a result. Not likely they would sacrifice themselves so some fat cat could make money off it. Second, BP stock has lost half its value and they are not going to pay a scheduled dividend. Nobody is making money in this. Third, they are spending tens of millions of dollars every day on this, approaching the company's entire worldwide daily revenue. Again, not making money on this. Also, Bilderberg was AFTER the explosion on April 20, so it's impossible for the people at Bilderberg to know it's GOING to happen if it has already happened. Plus, I am not buying any BP or Amoco (BP owns Amoco) gas, so that has to really hurt!

8. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2007
    deepsouth wrote:
    But who are you hurting? America owns 39% of BP, wouldn't the Petrol Station's where you buy your fuel be locally owned by American's too and the guy's who truck the fuel and process it, etc etc. Buy boycotting BP aren't you just hurting yourselve's. Less profit for BP means less money to help clean up the mess aswell.

How are my apostophes DP, all Ok?;)

9. deepsouth

deepsouth New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA
    Kiwi, here's my take on your comments. First, I don't care what country the owners (shareholders) live in. (I'm not angry with the British people or government, just the company that has brought this upon us and the US Government for not being proactive in mitigating the effects of the spill.) If they decide to invest in a company that is willing to rape the environment, then they can lose money when the rape occurs and justice is demanded. Investment is a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Second, the gas stations are independently owned by local people who buy a franchise so they can use the brand. BP, by their actions, has destroyed the brand that those people have paid to use. The franchisees should sue BP for not holding up their end of the contract and causing Joe Gas Station Owner to lose money. I refuse to put as much as a single penny in BP's coffers if I can avoid it.

It gets worse. In this country, stations of many different brands get their gas from the same refinery. They just put their brand's additives in the tank and slap their name on it. It's all very incestuous, don't you think?

Now about those apostrophes. It is improper to use an apostrophe to form the plural of a noun. Petrol Station's would properly be petrol stations. The same for the other instances where you've used an apostrophe to form the plural (American's, guy's, yourselve's).

Apostrophes are normally used in a contraction like "don't" to show that a letter is missing (don't = do not) or to show possession as in "the dude's head split open when the board hit it". Go ahead and use all the punctuation you want, any way you please. That part of it is all in good fun. But I'm serious about hoping BP loses big time to serve as an example to others who may consider doing the same thing and think there won't be consequences.

10. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    DS - with all due respect it's easy to say sue the bastards and get paid for BP's lack of living up to a contract. It is quite another to be the guy who suffers while his business goes to sh&t, and waits for years for litigation to wind it's way through the courts. It's my understanding that there are 10's of thousands (note appropriate use of the apostrophe;)) of US franchise owners, licensees, employees, etc. that are victims of this when/if BP folds up their tent or reduces business in the US. I don't have an answer here but there are unintended consequences of actions, and I certainly wouldn't want to be the poor guy that gets stuck holding BP's bag.

Investors are not just individual rich guys but many retirement funds and other institutions, maybe the one paying your retirement or holding your life insurance or a mutual fund that you have in your IRA. Same goes here for collateral damage.

Like I said earlier, biggest CF I've ever been witness to.