OIL ON THE BEACH

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by deepsouth, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Village People Cowboy

Village People Cowboy New Member

Mar 28, 2006
    runlong wrote:
    OMG, Runs! You are right! He should put on tights and save the world! Or maybe just give a great speech and then do nothing! What exactely could he have said to make it better? A little high powered guns and ammo type John Wayne BS perhaps? You are like the college boy who carries my groceries: adorable but absolutely silly! Some day you can sit at the big folks table and have a real discussion!

Oh, and of course don't think about any of this next time you pull in to the gas station. You big silly! :p

2. Village People Cowboy

Village People Cowboy New Member

Mar 28, 2006
    SMUKES wrote:
    I shaved the chops off a long time ago!:) (But thanks, Smookie. And I luv your sister on that Jersey Shore show!) Again, I understand the frustration, but, save a lot of words which would never please everyone anyway, I'm not sure what you think the President should do. Again, this is something no one ever dealt with before and no one really knows how do deal with it. To think somehow that the government can make such a large disaster go away in such a short period of time is a little naive. Valdez was a finite spill and it took over a decade. I just hope that what they are doing is well thought out and done right. That is all we can really hope. A nice word- woobie would be awesome and make us feel warm and fuzzy but, at the end of the day, it won't stop what is going on.

OMFG, I'm putting on my chaps and going dancing! Later boys! Roy, are you in or out?;)

3. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Village People Cowboy wrote:
    I have Kiwi/Canadian cousin who now lives in Alaska, he said if you go to the sound (Prince Willam) and turn over a stone you can still see and smell the oil.

4. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    USA Delaware
    i've heard that too about prince william sound.

why don't the same political morons who talk about how drilling oil brings so many jobs and helps our economy, tout the stupendous economic impact the gulf spill's gonna have? not too mention the environmental impact costs. let's see the balance sheet on that.

problem is the capitalists don't need to have a spreadsheet for that. capitalism doesn't calculate long-term impacts, ignores social and eco-dependencies, and legislates away liabilities. on paper it looks all cute and rosey.

humans need to cold turkey their oil addiction, and divert their efforts toward renewables. all our current energy technologies- oil, nukes, coal- have immense long term negative impacts.

5. aloof

aloof Member

Feb 5, 2005
    USA
    We all need the energy but also should trample through it first like the sewage in the streets in the past and learn our lesson first on sicknesses and disease coming from the mire, i see pollution will always take a back seat on the issues agenda but you gotta keep your house clean first.

6. g-coast

g-coast New Member

Mar 2, 2004
    VPC said it well, but he still scares me.:shock:

7. Ripple Rider

Ripple Rider New Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Well - at least we can be thankful that it's organic petroleum.

8. Silk123

Silk123 Active Member

Feb 11, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    i'm optimistic it'll be cleaned up and done better than what happened with the Exxon Valdez. its around a lot more populated area, with more livelihoods directly at stake, and we learned alot on how to clean up after Exxon. there's a lot of incentive to do so for nearly everyone involved.

this isnt to say that peoples concerned are unfounded, or that BP or the admin wasn't incompetent.

i just prefer to be optimistic and look at possible solutions insteading of rehashing our problems over and over again.

9. g-coast

g-coast New Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Ripple Rider wrote:
    ??????????? You make it sound like the Gulf is polluted with Crisco or Italian Dressing. HOWEVER, you are correct,,,,,Time, Heat, and Pressure convert ORGANIC MUDS into Oil. Still, it's not "organic" anymore and it's nothing to be thankful for.:?

10. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    USA Delaware
    mercury is friggin organic too ain't it? good ol organic neuro-toxin, by-product of coal fired power plants, concentrating in the food chain.